Skip to main content

the missing piece

Well, it could have been a lot worse, but it is done. The "Big Girl Bed" is complete! Dadoo got up early Saturday morning and cleared the room out.

Note still-assembled crib, just in case things went awry.

Pal Shawn volunteered/was suckered in to coming over and helping with the heavy lifting and confusing assembly.

How many doofuses does it take ...

We were making pretty good progress ...

Things were going smoothly. Too smoothly.

When the proverbial wrench was dropped into the works (which is impressive, since it's an Ikea bed and you have to supply your own wrench). Turns out we were missing a piece. Not a big piece, but kind of a crucial piece in that it held the part that held two parts that created the side that would hold the kid up in bed.

Now, if you know anything about Ikea, you know that they are not often in the most convenient locations. The "Seattle Ikea" owns the distinction of being not actually in Seattle and being not even convenient to its own parking lot. Anyway, pal Shawn saved us all by, first, stopping me from using gum or wadded up tissue in place of the missing part, and second, by driving me the 30 minutes each way to get the part in question. Yes, we drove an hour for this:

grumblegrumblegrumble

Meanwhile, wife and daughter were waiting patiently at home.

Hmm. Not impressed so far.

We returned and got back to work. Mimi commented that it was nice of us to both wear navy blue t-shirts so we looked like actual Ikea jerks while assembling the bed. Kiddo moved in for a closer look, too.

Please to enjoy my underpants.

Then she moved in for a closer look ... TO THE EXTREME!

"Is that how you're going to do it?"

And then, finally, the pièce de something-or-other ...

She went from looking huge in her crib to practically disappearing in her new bed.

She loves it. In fact, she loves it so much that one of the first things she did was spin herself around so hard that she hurled herself off of the bed and onto the floor.

So we went out and got one of these:

"Oh, I will figure out how to lower this."

It's been interesting so far. We get to have "Super Cozy Snuggle Time" before bed and/or first thing in the morning, and we get to tuck her in before we read books, which is nice. But because she is no longer confined by a crib (the bed rail is just so she doesn't roll out in her sleep), she likes to get up and roam around her bedroom after we think we've tucked her in. Mimi had to talk her back into bed during her nap this afternoon and I listened on the monitor this evening as she got out of bed and restarted her CD player three times. I also took the locking doorknob off her door so she can't lock herself in her bedroom (note to 12-year-old Yuki, "No, you may not put it back") and we are just waiting for her to wander into our bedroom in the middle of the night. That should be ... fun(?).

Anyway, Big Girl Bed is up. Crib is disassembled. Not feeling nearly as philosophical about it as I thought I would. Mostly just surprised at the second, unexpected round of child-proofing we now have to do. Also, recovering from "Ikea Wrist" which, if it is not a recorded malady in some medical journal, it needs to be.

Whee!

Comments

Anonymous said…
yeah!!! Neato!
xo
gibs
Michelle said…
Hooray for big beds!

Word of advice, though: gate. Top of the stairs or on her room. Both my cousin and a friend down the street found their kids out in the driveway in the middle of the night at this stage. Granted, they were both boys (still are boys), but still...
Lisa Tucker said…
i like yer underpants.
smatano said…
Shanks, Leetha!
Hey there Yuki, et al. Elena is having a b-day party on Jan 30, 10:30-12:30. Please come if you can! I can't find your email address or phone number... I am at ukrentz@gmail.com

And in other news, I am a huge fan of "Super Cozy Snuggle Time".. yay for big girl beds!
AJ said…
Yay for the big girl bed. And think of the kind of crazy traffic to this post you will you get with "Please to enjoy my underpants?"
Anonymous said…
Dying to know what crazy antics little kiddo has been up to now that she is in big kid bed! When my boys no longer had bars to keep them in I had to put up a gate at their door so they couldn't escape! Please don't tell me she stays in her room all night!
xo
gibs
Everywhereist said…
There is so much to love about this post: Yuki peeking up through the slats of her new bed, the shots of the Seussian-mural on the wall, the cameo by the always-cheerful and consistently delightful Shawn. But perhaps my favorite part is the trip back to IKEA. That is the reason why I keep extra IKEA doo-dads at my house. Sadly, I think I had the piece you went back for. Next time? Call me first.
smatano said…
Noted. Thank you, G.

Popular posts from this blog

panicky interlude

This is not the promised "Magical Ponies" post. Apologies. Instead, this is the "You Negligent Monster" post. Because Kiddo is in a Japanese daycare, parents are asked to remove their shoes before coming in. No problem. I have a pair of loafers that I hate that I wear on pickup days so I can get in and out more quickly. Most days while I'm putting my shoes on, Yuki will run away from me and I will make noisy protestations and she will giggle and come back. Today, however, there was the running and the noisy protestations and the giggling and a splat. I guess she tripped ("running away" involves going around a corner where I can't see her) because she was crying and pulling herself up off the floor when I got to her. "No big deal" as she likes to say (she does, really, it's friggin' adorable). She had a little red line across the bridge of her nose but there was no blood. She asked for a Band Aid and I told her we'd get her one...