Skip to main content

conversations with our daughter

Driving to school one morning, mother and child passed a church you can see from the highway. Philip and Yuki had talked about it before on the ride home one evening. I was not aware of this at the time of the conversation.

Yuki: I want to go to church
Mimi: (heart attack) You do?
Yuki: I do. Daddy wants to go to church.
Mimi: (bigger heart attack) He DOES?
Yuki: Yes. Is it closed?
Mimi: Um...I think churches are open all the time. But we can't go right now, because we have to get to school.
Yuki: It's waaaaay over there by PopCap (note: Philip's work).
Mimi: Oh yeah?
Yuki: Do you wanna go to PopCap?
Mimi: Some other time, yes.
Yuki: When you are a daddy, you can go to PopCap.

Then just tonight, Philip and Yuki had this conversation on a particularly slow drive home from school:

Yuki: I need to unbuckle my seat and get out of the car and walk home by myself.
Philip: Why?
Yuki: Because you can't drive.

Finally, we have been graced with many fine babysitters these past few years. Each is delightful and accomplished and Kiddo has come away fond of every one of them. Babysitter Erin, an actor and musician, and a generally hilarious and artistic soul, gets a special shout-out because she emailed us a transcript of her most recent adventure with our daughter. For your enjoyment, we (but really Erin) present, "Yuki Party 2010."

When: Saturday, December 4th, 2010
Who: Yuki and Erin
What: YUKI PARTY!
Conversation overheard at Yuki Party 2010:

Erin: (while dining with Yuki and looking thru a cookbook) Mmmm. Eggplant is delish!
Yuki: Yum! I love eggplant! (stops eating, thinks) Eggs are for eating, plants are for looking.
Erin: Yeah, that's pretty accurate.
Yuki: Never pick dandelions at the park.
Erin: OK.
Yuki. Dandelions are for looking.
Erin: Yes.
Yuki: Never pick dandelions at the park.
Erin: Ok. I won't.
Yuki: Promise me.
Erin: I promise you. I will never pick dandelions at the park.
Yuki: Promise?
Erin: I promise.
Yuki: ...Pinky swear? (holds out pinky)
Erin: Pinky swear. (links pinky to Yuki's pinky) I will never pick dandelions at the park.

AND SCENE.

Also, we painted each other's faces.




Comments

Anonymous said…
The most excellent antidote for kids who want to go to Church is to take them. Wait until she's a little older though, then she'll hate it. Cole and Audrey demanded church several times, then I finally took them for a year or two until they rankled and just HAD to quit. Church Quitters.
xo
la
Anonymous said…
Church is a good place to go. mg
Geraldine said…
I sent a friend of mine a list of quotes that I had gathered while baby-sitting her daughter. Her favorite was when her daughter insisted I follow her as she ran through the house, pretending to ride on a horse (it was actually a stuffed giraffe). At some point she stopped abruptly, screamed, "WAIT!" and farted.

Then she resumed whatever it was she was doing.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...