Here’s where we are right now.
And here’s how impressed Trixie is with the whole thing.
We had our Newborn Care class last week. This one came with props. I’m just going to go ahead and let you imagine how we behaved in that class. Just one quick visual for you. As we were practicing swaddling, Philip reached over and made our stunt baby wiggle and shake, saying, “I’m just making it realistic.” I will keep you posted on this week’s Infant CPR class.
Okay, there was one more thing. When we were learning things about breastfeeding, there was a particular sentence that caught my eye in the textbook. It said, “Food bacteria generally does not travel through breast milk, so the pregnancy prohibition against raw fish, soft cheeses, and lunch meats typically does not apply when breast feeding.” Let me shorten that up for you, "The prohibition against raw fish does not apply." Still too long? "Raw fish." I CAN EAT SUSHI!!!!! A good friend asked if I was going to have a sushi chef in my delivery room and I am now thinking that I will spend all of our savings on that because it will be worth it. Preferably, he can start slicing up some yellow tail as I start to push. Nice.
We are now about four weeks away from the due date. I realize that means nothing and that we could have the baby any minute or six weeks from now, but nonetheless, the time is approaching rapidly. Within the last four days, my center of gravity has shifted yet again and I can no longer pick up Trixie-poop with any kind of grace. Nor can I get comfortable standing, sitting, or lying down. Our OB said that the baby’s head is firmly downward (good news) and it’s just kicking around like crazy. At the same time, we have made some significant progress in the house. Things were purchased, we are now registered at Pottery Barn Kids, Target, and Babies ‘R Us. And we have managed to socialize with friends as if we will never get out of the house again. So while the house looks like we are about to move (you know that state where it looks like you just need two more boxes and you should be done?) we now have everything we need (diapers, car seat bassinet) if Flippy came tomorrow. Of course, I would be totally screwed at work if that happened since I have things scheduled pretty tightly for the next two weeks but hey, I’ll burn that bridge when I get to it, I guess.
In the meantime, I turned 39 a week-and-a-half ago. 38 was eventful. I started off being pregnant, then had a miscarriage, had a D&C, then went for the 3rd IVF, then got pregnant. I feel like I spent so much of 38 freaking out that 40 was coming that I didn’t really enjoy being 38. Similar thing happened when I was 28. By the time I turned 30, I was totally fine, but something about approaching the next decade made me freak out. Of course much of the freak out this time was tied to fertility issues. I am now determined that 39 will be a much better year. 40 is the new 30 anyway, or so I hear and choose to believe. Besides, I’m so immature my head won’t catch up to being in my 40s for a while.
Someone asked, “Do you think you are ready for the kind of change that is going to take place?” Well, yes and no. We have no doubt that this is going to be nothing like anything we’ve ever experienced and no amount of preparation will truly make us ready. But when I look at the patterns in my life, I seem to embrace big changes every now and then, which started when I left my country at the age of 15. I somehow think that drastic changes are good for the soul. It’s probably that Japanese/Catholic thing, but when I decide or encounter a huge life change – and there is always some amount of pain involved – I think that it does something great for me. I am awakened by the experience and I learn a tremendous amount about who I am and what I should be doing. So no, we’re probably clueless about the kind of change that’s about to happen, but yes, I’m equipped to handle it. "Bring it," as the kids say (or was it the President?). I really can’t think of a better change than this. I will take being exhausted from taking care of my child over going through the anguish of IVF any day.
Here's how Philip and Trixie are holding up:
It is a strange time right now. As I walk Trixie in the morning, I remember the thoughts I’ve had in the last five years during this daily ritual. Riding the roller coaster of feelings, being hopeful and discouraged, I walked this dog every morning. And soon, that will change. And I will have a different set of thoughts as I add another person to the walk. While we are trying to get ready, we also are treasuring the time together. There is much hope in this house right now. And that is good.
P.S. Philip picked up the glider/ottoman and the new computer armoire and he asked for help doing it. Thank you Rob and Rob's truck (and Rob's back).
And here’s how impressed Trixie is with the whole thing.
We had our Newborn Care class last week. This one came with props. I’m just going to go ahead and let you imagine how we behaved in that class. Just one quick visual for you. As we were practicing swaddling, Philip reached over and made our stunt baby wiggle and shake, saying, “I’m just making it realistic.” I will keep you posted on this week’s Infant CPR class.
Okay, there was one more thing. When we were learning things about breastfeeding, there was a particular sentence that caught my eye in the textbook. It said, “Food bacteria generally does not travel through breast milk, so the pregnancy prohibition against raw fish, soft cheeses, and lunch meats typically does not apply when breast feeding.” Let me shorten that up for you, "The prohibition against raw fish does not apply." Still too long? "Raw fish." I CAN EAT SUSHI!!!!! A good friend asked if I was going to have a sushi chef in my delivery room and I am now thinking that I will spend all of our savings on that because it will be worth it. Preferably, he can start slicing up some yellow tail as I start to push. Nice.
We are now about four weeks away from the due date. I realize that means nothing and that we could have the baby any minute or six weeks from now, but nonetheless, the time is approaching rapidly. Within the last four days, my center of gravity has shifted yet again and I can no longer pick up Trixie-poop with any kind of grace. Nor can I get comfortable standing, sitting, or lying down. Our OB said that the baby’s head is firmly downward (good news) and it’s just kicking around like crazy. At the same time, we have made some significant progress in the house. Things were purchased, we are now registered at Pottery Barn Kids, Target, and Babies ‘R Us. And we have managed to socialize with friends as if we will never get out of the house again. So while the house looks like we are about to move (you know that state where it looks like you just need two more boxes and you should be done?) we now have everything we need (diapers, car seat bassinet) if Flippy came tomorrow. Of course, I would be totally screwed at work if that happened since I have things scheduled pretty tightly for the next two weeks but hey, I’ll burn that bridge when I get to it, I guess.
In the meantime, I turned 39 a week-and-a-half ago. 38 was eventful. I started off being pregnant, then had a miscarriage, had a D&C, then went for the 3rd IVF, then got pregnant. I feel like I spent so much of 38 freaking out that 40 was coming that I didn’t really enjoy being 38. Similar thing happened when I was 28. By the time I turned 30, I was totally fine, but something about approaching the next decade made me freak out. Of course much of the freak out this time was tied to fertility issues. I am now determined that 39 will be a much better year. 40 is the new 30 anyway, or so I hear and choose to believe. Besides, I’m so immature my head won’t catch up to being in my 40s for a while.
Someone asked, “Do you think you are ready for the kind of change that is going to take place?” Well, yes and no. We have no doubt that this is going to be nothing like anything we’ve ever experienced and no amount of preparation will truly make us ready. But when I look at the patterns in my life, I seem to embrace big changes every now and then, which started when I left my country at the age of 15. I somehow think that drastic changes are good for the soul. It’s probably that Japanese/Catholic thing, but when I decide or encounter a huge life change – and there is always some amount of pain involved – I think that it does something great for me. I am awakened by the experience and I learn a tremendous amount about who I am and what I should be doing. So no, we’re probably clueless about the kind of change that’s about to happen, but yes, I’m equipped to handle it. "Bring it," as the kids say (or was it the President?). I really can’t think of a better change than this. I will take being exhausted from taking care of my child over going through the anguish of IVF any day.
Here's how Philip and Trixie are holding up:
It is a strange time right now. As I walk Trixie in the morning, I remember the thoughts I’ve had in the last five years during this daily ritual. Riding the roller coaster of feelings, being hopeful and discouraged, I walked this dog every morning. And soon, that will change. And I will have a different set of thoughts as I add another person to the walk. While we are trying to get ready, we also are treasuring the time together. There is much hope in this house right now. And that is good.
P.S. Philip picked up the glider/ottoman and the new computer armoire and he asked for help doing it. Thank you Rob and Rob's truck (and Rob's back).
Comments
xo
la