Skip to main content

panicky interlude

This is not the promised "Magical Ponies" post. Apologies. Instead, this is the "You Negligent Monster" post.

Because Kiddo is in a Japanese daycare, parents are asked to remove their shoes before coming in. No problem. I have a pair of loafers that I hate that I wear on pickup days so I can get in and out more quickly. Most days while I'm putting my shoes on, Yuki will run away from me and I will make noisy protestations and she will giggle and come back. Today, however, there was the running and the noisy protestations and the giggling and a splat. I guess she tripped ("running away" involves going around a corner where I can't see her) because she was crying and pulling herself up off the floor when I got to her.

"No big deal" as she likes to say (she does, really, it's friggin' adorable). She had a little red line across the bridge of her nose but there was no blood. She asked for a Band Aid and I told her we'd get her one in the car. (Mimi thought to put first aid kits in each of our cars. Smart one, she.) When we got to the car I told her to get in her seat and I would get her a Band Aid. I dug around for the first aid kit while Kiddo waited patiently. I finally located the appropriate Band Aid (okay, "generic adhesive strip") and put it across her nose. She had stopped crying and now just looked like she'd been in a fight. I gave her some milk and we headed home.

It's about a 12-mile trip from her daycare to home. Around mile 4, as I was flying down the carpool lane at 70 mph, laughing at all the suckers who didn't have a passenger to allow them this luxury and hoping none of those suckers decided to dive in front of me without warning, I glanced in the rear-view mirror and noticed that the kid wasn't strapped into her car seat.

Excuse me.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA(inhales)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Just sitting there. Like she was waiting for lunch or watching TV. At 70 miles per hour. Totally not strapped in. Not even a little bit. Guess I forgot that bit in the whole "bandage on the nose" kerfuffle.

Somehow thinking it would help, I put my hand on her stomach to hold her in place. She grabbed my finger and said, "Hold your hand." I replied. "Yes, do. Do hold my hand" as I picked my way across three lanes of rush hour traffic (excuse me, Enormous Tractor Trailer, pardon me, SUV, coming through, Great Big Passenger Van) and got off the highway.

I pulled over at the first safe-ish spot and strapped her in so tight her eyes bulged and her tongue popped out. Then I drove home the remaining 8 miles feeling like I was going to throw up.

We made it. I will leave myself a note on the dashboard to check that she's strapped in next time. Seriously. Some days I leave myself a note to remember to pick her up. What's one more note?

I am more than a little happy to report that the bandage on the nose was the worst of it.


And now, more wine.

Comments

Gillian said…
I hope you are drinking that wine out of a flagon with a dragon because HOLY MOSES.

Good job getting across that traffic and having a kid who stayed put.

Eep.

(And some calming fresh breaths of oxygen for whenever you need them.)
These are the times that you think fondly of the innumerable trips you took as a small child in the back of the station wagon rolling around with five other kids with no seat belts in sight... and still lived to tell the tale. And just think-- if something (God forbid) had happened, then at least her darling nose would have been super protected.
KT said…
You didn't get to enjoy the Smith Family cross-country moves in the good old blue Ford, but somehow we got from California to Florida and back to California without seat belts, air bags, air conditioning, a radio, a tv, a vcr or a cup holder, without losing anyone. Dad did have the Magic Arm though. If he had to stop quickly, he'd just put his arm out across whoever was in the front seat. Magic! No one ever got hurt. Kinda like the Magic Hold My Hand.
Anonymous said…
You are hearby pardoned by all of us who have done the same....or worse. Yes, worse...I won't elaborate -
xo
gibs
ps she even wears bandiads well..
Anonymous said…
I feel your panic. I once arrived at my destination, unbuckled my 5 point harnessed kid from his carseat, only to discover that his carseat was completely unattached from the car. That would have made one hell of a projectile!

Thank you, God, for these gentle reminders.

Judy
smatano said…
I do take some solace in the memory of sliding around in the back of the Kingswood as Dad went a little too fast around corners or over small hills. If you had a blanket back there, you could really get a good slide going.
Anonymous said…
Been there. Done that. Felt like vomiting for days. Had the weird adrenaline feeling in my forearms for hours. Drank wine. Took tylenol pm.

Thank god it all worked out.
xo
la
Anonymous said…
don't you know you're not supposed to admit doing this kind of thing so that when others admit that they did something like this, you can remain silent and seemingly smug? oops! have i said too much! this is me being smug. teehee!
lauren Hallal said…
Once, on an evening in February of 2001 my friend went shopping in Whole Foods. Walked around. Speared a few olives and popped them in her mouth. Browsed. Got some nice bread. At the counter, she put the baby cereal on the belt and shouted. "MY BABY! OH MY GOD! WHERE IS MY BABY." She threw her wallet at the cashier and went out to her freezing car in the pitch black 6:30 evening of New England winter and there was her child, fast asleep in his car seat. She drove straight home and made her husband go back for her wallet and groceries. She was too embarrassed. And this isn't even a little bit of a fib.
xo
la
Amy said…
I have done that with Stella, oh, i think about 4 times now! Usually she cries and yells "I"M NOT BUCKLED"! But there was the one time when I was driving down the street and she was standing over my shoulder!
A.J. said…
Well, at least you weren't also reading comics while driving. I thought that was coming next. The nose bandage is genius by the way. I wanna wear one myself now.
Everywhereist said…
Aww - I am so sorry about the near endangerment of your child. But even if she, say, isn't strapped in at all, and goes flying into the dashboard at, let's say the tender age of 5, leaving a bump on her nose that remain with her for the rest of her life, well ... it will just give her character. Really. Hypothetically.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...