When not endangering the life of our precious child (see previous post), sometimes we like to take her out to do fun/interesting things. Last Saturday we went to see Lucia Neare's Theatrical Wonders. They have a monthly outdoor show, on the night of the new moon, called "Lullaby Moon." We kept missing them but finally caught their announcement in time. And, bonus, their latest show was at a park very close to our house. Sometimes absent-mindedness ends up looking like careful strategy.
We weren't quite sure how to describe to Kiddo what we were going to see. When we were going to the movies we showed her a couple of clips online ahead of time so she would be a little familiar with things when they showed up on the big (loud) screen. I suppose we could have shown her photos from the Lullaby Moon site, but we never got around to it. Instead I just said, "We are going to see the Magical Ponies" and it stuck. And I'm glad it stuck because my heart goes all aflutter every time I hear Kiddo say "Magical Ponies."
Nothin'. I just like this picture.
It was really a lovely and dreamlike show (which I'm sure was their intention, so Mission Accomplished, Lucia Neare). If the aforementioned absent-mindedness wasn't in play, I'd have attached the zoom lens to our camera so I could get better photos than this:
DOWN IN FRONT!
but, fait accompli, as my mother-in-law likes to say (or maybe she just said it once, and I can't forget it).
We packed a picnic, ran into several friends, and had a lovely time in the grass listening to the music while waiting for the show to begin.
And it began. And it was purty. And we were sitting in a crap spot so Mimi and Kiddo decided to walk around to see what they could see. And they were visited by cats and clocks and, yes indeed, the Magical Ponies.
Did I mention the absent-mindedness? Not sure why I kept the camera while the ladies went for a closer look. So here's a camera-phone shot or two.
They were all very sweet and bowed to Kiddo and I think she really loved it and was a little overwhelmed. She also was very intrigued by the bunnies who were standing on the water's edge and then became very intrigued by the water itself so Mimi had to whisk her away before she decided to take a swim.
About two-thirds of the way into the show, the sky opened up and it rained like crazy. It somehow added to the surreal quality of the evening. The half-mile hike back to the car was a joy as well.
When we got home, we had a little floor picnic because someone was hungry again.
We had a swell time and Kiddo still talks about the kitties and bunnies and clocks and Magical Ponies. They have one more show next month and I think we'll go see that one, too.






Comments
PS Floor picnics are the best picnics.