1. Pan-Pan

Did you know that the word for "bread" is the same in Japanese as it is in Portuguese? Well, it is. Also Spanish, but I believe it was the Portuguese who introduced bread to Japan. Did you know that that word is "pan" and not "pan-pan"? "Pan-pan" comes from our sister-in-law Akiko who called it that for her kids (she also called noodles "churu-churu" but that's another story). Anyway, I don't know who introduced bread to the United States but I should thank them because Kiddo can eat her weight in it every day. And often does. For the record, bread, tortillas, pizza, sandwiches, and occasionally waffles are all "pan-pan."
2. Play Kitchen

Kiddo is koo-koo for the kitchen set she got for her birthday. Our friends, the Chandlers, tricked it out for her birthday by giving her a huge set of pretend food (thanks, Chandlers!). She is constantly cooking, organizing, eating, and occasionally drawing on her new favorite play-thing (actually drawing right on it with her crayons). She even uses the wooden knife from her wooden sushi set to slice the wooden sushi that's held together with Velcro. Sometimes when she's done slicing it all she raises the knife in the air and shouts, "SUSHI!"
3. Book-book

We never know from one day to the next what book she is going to want and need and love, but it's fun to watch her discover books. Lately she's been fixated on My Friends by Taro Gomi and Yoko by Rosemary Wells. In fact, the first words out of her mouth when I got her up this morning were "My Friends?" Then she sat in bed for 10 minutes pointing at, and naming all the animals in it, while I tried to coax her to get up. Eventually I had to get her up because she was a pee-pee monster and I had to change her and she was mad at me until I changed her diaper and then put her back in bed with the book. How was your morning?
4. Kiss Me, Kate

Mimi introduced this CD a few weeks ago because "it's never too early for Cole Porter." Kiddo has really taken to it which delights us no end. Not just because it's Cole Porter and a top-shelf musical, but because now we have three CDs in the bedtime rotation. Yay, variety. She even asks for it by name, although that name is "Kimmy Hate."
5. Nap Time

During her first year, when getting her to sleep was a nightmare of screaming and crying, we didn't think she'd ever figure out how to fall asleep. Now, hallelujah, she is great at it. I'd almost go so far as to say she loves it. Okay, maybe that's too far, but she certainly doesn't fight it. She puts in a two-hour nap pretty consistently every day (although sometimes part of those two hours is spent singing to herself at a comically high volume) and puts in about ten to twelve hours at night. She has been waking up on occasion in the middle of the night (we think she's starting to dream a lot) but, except for one night when she stayed up for three hours, she goes back down without much trouble. And I know that when she's in high school and sleeping in until 2:00 on weekends, I'll miss those days when she was awake all the damn time.

Did you know that the word for "bread" is the same in Japanese as it is in Portuguese? Well, it is. Also Spanish, but I believe it was the Portuguese who introduced bread to Japan. Did you know that that word is "pan" and not "pan-pan"? "Pan-pan" comes from our sister-in-law Akiko who called it that for her kids (she also called noodles "churu-churu" but that's another story). Anyway, I don't know who introduced bread to the United States but I should thank them because Kiddo can eat her weight in it every day. And often does. For the record, bread, tortillas, pizza, sandwiches, and occasionally waffles are all "pan-pan."
2. Play Kitchen

Kiddo is koo-koo for the kitchen set she got for her birthday. Our friends, the Chandlers, tricked it out for her birthday by giving her a huge set of pretend food (thanks, Chandlers!). She is constantly cooking, organizing, eating, and occasionally drawing on her new favorite play-thing (actually drawing right on it with her crayons). She even uses the wooden knife from her wooden sushi set to slice the wooden sushi that's held together with Velcro. Sometimes when she's done slicing it all she raises the knife in the air and shouts, "SUSHI!"
3. Book-book

We never know from one day to the next what book she is going to want and need and love, but it's fun to watch her discover books. Lately she's been fixated on My Friends by Taro Gomi and Yoko by Rosemary Wells. In fact, the first words out of her mouth when I got her up this morning were "My Friends?" Then she sat in bed for 10 minutes pointing at, and naming all the animals in it, while I tried to coax her to get up. Eventually I had to get her up because she was a pee-pee monster and I had to change her and she was mad at me until I changed her diaper and then put her back in bed with the book. How was your morning?
4. Kiss Me, Kate
Mimi introduced this CD a few weeks ago because "it's never too early for Cole Porter." Kiddo has really taken to it which delights us no end. Not just because it's Cole Porter and a top-shelf musical, but because now we have three CDs in the bedtime rotation. Yay, variety. She even asks for it by name, although that name is "Kimmy Hate."
5. Nap Time

During her first year, when getting her to sleep was a nightmare of screaming and crying, we didn't think she'd ever figure out how to fall asleep. Now, hallelujah, she is great at it. I'd almost go so far as to say she loves it. Okay, maybe that's too far, but she certainly doesn't fight it. She puts in a two-hour nap pretty consistently every day (although sometimes part of those two hours is spent singing to herself at a comically high volume) and puts in about ten to twelve hours at night. She has been waking up on occasion in the middle of the night (we think she's starting to dream a lot) but, except for one night when she stayed up for three hours, she goes back down without much trouble. And I know that when she's in high school and sleeping in until 2:00 on weekends, I'll miss those days when she was awake all the damn time.
Comments
You only have to worry when she starts shouting, "The amazing Ginsu knife! Slices, dices, makes julienne fries!"
'Funny' story: Andrew's boss Bob (a chef, and the owner of Flora, where Andrew works) has a son, Avery. When Avery was about 3, Bob woke up one day, went in the kitchen, and found Avery sitting at the table with an apple in front of him with a GIANT chef's knife stuck in it. Avery looked up at his father with a big smile and said, "I CUT."
After Bob awoke from his faint, he wondered whether 'fessing up to his wife would end in divorce...(it didn't).
And I'm with her on the pan-pan and eating our weight in it every day (you know it's pane it italian by the by). Of course, it doesn't look as cute on me.