Skip to main content

you say kimono, I say kimono ...


Japan is dense with history and tradition. One of the significant traditions in childhood is called, “shichi-go-san” (7-5-3). It is a celebration for girls and boys turning 3, then for boys turning 5, then for girls turning 7. It stems from when the mortality rate for children was high and it was a big deal to celebrate the milestone of making it that far (apparently in the old days, you didn’t register your child with the government until he or she was three). There were also traditions at each age, like a child’s hair was kept shaved until they were 3, at which point they were allowed to grow it out (not that Yuki’s hair would have grown), boys turning 5 were dressed in the traditional Hakama (fancy pants), and when girls turned 7, they wore an obi (the belt that is tighter than Scarlet O’Hara’s corset) for the first time. These outfit changes made them into mature kids and thus they celebrated the coming of age.

Note that the youngest girl is not wearing obi.

So, to this date, the tradition lives. When you turn 3, 5, or 7, you get dressed up in kimono, go to a shrine to get blessings, get traditional candy called “Chitose-ame” (which means thousand year candy) for good luck,


and go get your picture taken at a photo studio. First alone,


then with your family

Some girls have to get up at 5:00 am for their hair appointment for the fancy, and complex, hair-dos.

My mom wasn’t into that (and I also had very little hair at age 3) so she just combed it and called it a day.

Please note that I am wearing obi, despite being 3. Mom was, and is, very "non-trad."

She also didn’t bother with the photo studio then. I think more fuss was made for my seventh year.

All three of my nieces wore that very same kimono for their third year. They all have the photos from the studio my family frequents. When we were in Tokyo this past November, my sister-in-law asked if we wanted to do that since the celebration falls on November 15th and we were there. I hadn’t thought about it, but it was a perfect time so I said yes. My mom pulled out my kimono for the last time, and my sister-in-law provided us with a variety of accessories like the footwear, the hair stuff, the purse, etc. I was not sure if Yuki would go for it, but she took to it and, in fact, did not want to take the kimono off.

The reason I am posting this story now is because the portrait arrived from Japan over the holidays and … well, it took us this long to bring them upstairs to scan. So here it is, in the traditional form, Yuki’s Shichi-Go-San portrait:

Note the hair accessory held on by gravity and force of will.

Then we took the traditional family portrait:

Note the hair accessory is nowhere to be found.
Also note Yuki's shockingly middle-aged parents.

I hope to bring her again for this when she is 7. The one after that isn't until she turns 20. I didn’t get to do that one because I was here. Boo hoo. Anyway, I think the kimono portrait more than makes up for last year’s school photo.

Comments

KT said…
That is absolutely the most beautiful Shichi-Go-San portrait I have ever seen -- and I would say that even if it wasn't the ONLY one I have ever seen. And her proud parents are a gorgeous couple who in my mind are forever young.
xo,
KT
Gillian said…
I got all teary reading this post and I'd already seen the portrait. AHHHH.

Love it. So jealous. And proud to know you lot.
Anonymous said…
Yuki looks gorgeous and so do her parents! (middle aged indeed!) I'm glad she is growing up with some nice traditions. We Smith's had some traditions too but do we really want to hand those down to the next generation??
xo
gibs
I think I actually gasped when I saw the photo of Yuki! So beautiful!
Blythe said…
That kid is way, way too cute for her own good.

Please see also: I have a kimono. Can Yuki and I dress up together sometime? I think the answer to that should be obvious.
A.J. said…
Y'all don't look middle-aged at all, and Yuki (of course) looks adorable. I wish I could have a kimono pic at 7 (well, I'm being honest), and also wish that you would take a family pic to accompany this one where you all are wearing kimonos.
Unknown said…
I follow your blogs and wish that Oliver had more Yuki time. He could learn a lot from that girl.

Such as: how to accept a big boy/girl bed with aplomb; how to craft pillows and bedding from story books; how to sing and dance on cue and with appropriate levels of adorableness; how to manage tear-free, family-friendly bathing practices; how to tear up the runway.


Is she giving lessons?
Lauren Hallal said…
Love all the pictures, especially last year's school photo!
xo
la
smatano said…
Charra, well-adjusted Yuki is brought to you by very judicious editing. Some day, we will introduce the world to Queen Bossy-Pants.

In the meantime, we'd be totally down for Oliver time.
Anonymous said…
Oooo! Make your next post be about Queen Bossy-Pants!!! Sounds like a book just waiting to be written!

xoxo
gibs
Everywhereist said…
Middle-aged? Puh-lease. I'm clearly decades older than both of you, because my first inclination after seeing this pic is that I want to slap Philip on the back of the head and scream, "STAND UP STRAIGHT, YOUNG MAN!"
jenniwerndorf said…
i just clicked on "last year's school photo" and am now experiencing a sever stomach cramp from my hysterical fit of laughter. Thank you!!!! Oh...and the kimono portrait is exquisite :)
smatano said…
Geraldine, I blame the photographer. Mimi says he clearly had no idea how to pose a white man.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...