As we wrote in the past few posts (Hey Everyone, it's Mimi!), Yuki has had some sleeping issues. Few weeks ago, I was sleep deprived from being awakened every night at 3am (and being out of shape for that sort of thing) and have just started rehearsals, therefore,totally frazzled. After getting her into her PJs, I slouched in her stuffed duck chair which is not at all designed for anyone to sit in---especially people taller than 40 inches and was getting ready to read some books. Hopefully short ones. As I was reaching over to a book that was requested, I saw Yuki's toy magic wand. Feeling desperate for uninterrupted sleep, I grabbed it and said to Yuki "Mama is going to give you a very special spell tonight." Her face lit up. I held the wand above her head and started to circle slowly. She watched intently. Then I said, "you will sleep and sleep and sleep all night with only good dreams and won't wake up until morning time when it's light out." Yuki grinned from ear to ear. Then I read her the books and tucked her in.
Amazingly, she didn't wake up that night.
Figuring it was a coincidence, but hoping it was not, I did it again the next day and it worked. For the next three weeks, she slept through the night. She then went through a short spurt of waking up again, but managed to stay in her own bed and called me (which was the deal we struck) and I would just go in for about 10 min to help her fall back asleep which was so much easier than her coming into our bed and neither Philip or I getting a good night sleep. Then she went back to sleeping through the night again with the magic spell ritual continuing.
I can't believe it took me this long to figure out that this sort of thing would work. It makes total sense. Yuki is taking Creative Drama and plays pretend constantly. Duh. Some successful parenting methods come not from books, but from desperation, I guess.
This may all change again, but in the meantime, I'm getting sleep.
Amazingly, she didn't wake up that night.
Figuring it was a coincidence, but hoping it was not, I did it again the next day and it worked. For the next three weeks, she slept through the night. She then went through a short spurt of waking up again, but managed to stay in her own bed and called me (which was the deal we struck) and I would just go in for about 10 min to help her fall back asleep which was so much easier than her coming into our bed and neither Philip or I getting a good night sleep. Then she went back to sleeping through the night again with the magic spell ritual continuing.
I can't believe it took me this long to figure out that this sort of thing would work. It makes total sense. Yuki is taking Creative Drama and plays pretend constantly. Duh. Some successful parenting methods come not from books, but from desperation, I guess.
This may all change again, but in the meantime, I'm getting sleep.
Comments