This morning, I heard little foot steps in my bedroom, as it is the way we wake up these days on weekends. I opened one eye and looked at the clock and it was 8:30--which might as well be noon to us, for Yuki typically wakes up by 7am. When I managed to pry open both eyes, Yuki was staring right at me. She then said in a whisper, "Happy Mother's Day!" I hugged her and she told me (as she did the last night) that she had some presents for me and she was excited for me to open them. Then there was a whole Laurel and Hardy routine between Philip and Yuki about said gifts:
Yuki: Mommy, we have a necklace for you.
Philip: DON'T TELL HER WHAT IT IS!
Yuki: Mommy, we have some presents for you and don't say anything about it, OK?
Me: OK. I don't even know what they are.
Yuki: They are the frog things...
Philip: YUKI! WE TALKED ABOUT THIS. DON'T TELL HER WHAT IT IS!
Yuki: Don't say anything, mama, ok?
Me: OK.
Yuki: Tempty-tempty!! (Smith family tradition--they show the wrapped gifts and torment the person by saying this very phrase)
They then scampered downstairs to prepare some breakfast and coffee, and while the croissants were in the oven, brought up the gifts. They were; a board game for kids that involves some frogs (Yuki felt I would want to play this with her), Tina Fey's book, BossyPants, and a necklace that has a purple pendant with a pink rose painted on it. Philip tells me that Yuki picked out herself. Pretty obvious. I wore it all day. It is now my favorite necklace ever. There was also a card that Yuki made with a crazy looking girl in the front that said, " I love you." Inside she had signed her full name. Awfully formal. Then it said, "Mommy." Apparently they talked about saying "I love you, Mommy" inside, but since she has already written that in the front, she decided to just say, "Mommy." Sure. Makes total sense.
My own mother is one of the most gracious gift receivers I have ever known. She was always (and still is) so touched by any gifts she received and as a kid, it made me feel as though I had done well when she opened gifts from me. Perhaps that is why I like to put a lot of thought into gifts to this day because she taught me that it pays off. This past winter, my mother spent 5 weeks in the hospital. She has had some stomach issues and on December 26th, I received an email from my brother which read on the subject time, "Mom is in the hospital." Her white blood cell count was through the roof and the doctor ordered her to check in on the spot. I have to say, I panicked. My strong, active mother was in the hospital. I cried on and off in my car on the way home and Philip and I had a long talk about what to do should I need to go see her, which was a good discussion to have but not pleasant. I felt the weight of being a grown up and actually facing my mother possibly leaving this world sooner than I was ready.
But this turned out to be not life threatening. She had an infection which they treated with antibiotics, and they kept her to run some tests to rule out any bigger concerns, like cancer, etc and slowly put her back on solid food, which she hadn't been able to eat. It was slow and nerve wracking but she pulled through. She lost a ton of weight apparently though and once she returned home, her back started to give her trouble. She is unable to walk or stand for too long now. Luckily, my brother's family lives upstairs from my parents, and my sister-in-law has been cooking every night for my parents and my 15-year-old niece brings it down to them, eats with them, cleans the kitchen and goes back upstairs.
The amazing thing is that my mother is not defeated. She does not get depressed or cranky. She takes it in stride and keeps busy in any way that she can. She is probably the most over committed 84 year old and she is still doing it all. That is my mother. I called her last night to wish her a happy mother's day and she said, "all these years I thought I would be the one to take care of your father, but it's turning into the opposite." I was glad that I had a chance to chat with her again--that she did not spiral down. I know the day will come, but for now, I want to enjoy and appreciate her.
As I opened all the gifts, I reacted dramatically and examined everything carefully. Yuki's eyes were wide open and twinkly. You get to know your mom more when you become one. You suddenly remember every little thing your mom did that made you feel good. And then you do it for your kid. That, I believe is a way to honor your mom.
Happy Mother's Day, everyone.
Yuki: Mommy, we have a necklace for you.
Philip: DON'T TELL HER WHAT IT IS!
Yuki: Mommy, we have some presents for you and don't say anything about it, OK?
Me: OK. I don't even know what they are.
Yuki: They are the frog things...
Philip: YUKI! WE TALKED ABOUT THIS. DON'T TELL HER WHAT IT IS!
Yuki: Don't say anything, mama, ok?
Me: OK.
Yuki: Tempty-tempty!! (Smith family tradition--they show the wrapped gifts and torment the person by saying this very phrase)
They then scampered downstairs to prepare some breakfast and coffee, and while the croissants were in the oven, brought up the gifts. They were; a board game for kids that involves some frogs (Yuki felt I would want to play this with her), Tina Fey's book, BossyPants, and a necklace that has a purple pendant with a pink rose painted on it. Philip tells me that Yuki picked out herself. Pretty obvious. I wore it all day. It is now my favorite necklace ever. There was also a card that Yuki made with a crazy looking girl in the front that said, " I love you." Inside she had signed her full name. Awfully formal. Then it said, "Mommy." Apparently they talked about saying "I love you, Mommy" inside, but since she has already written that in the front, she decided to just say, "Mommy." Sure. Makes total sense.
My own mother is one of the most gracious gift receivers I have ever known. She was always (and still is) so touched by any gifts she received and as a kid, it made me feel as though I had done well when she opened gifts from me. Perhaps that is why I like to put a lot of thought into gifts to this day because she taught me that it pays off. This past winter, my mother spent 5 weeks in the hospital. She has had some stomach issues and on December 26th, I received an email from my brother which read on the subject time, "Mom is in the hospital." Her white blood cell count was through the roof and the doctor ordered her to check in on the spot. I have to say, I panicked. My strong, active mother was in the hospital. I cried on and off in my car on the way home and Philip and I had a long talk about what to do should I need to go see her, which was a good discussion to have but not pleasant. I felt the weight of being a grown up and actually facing my mother possibly leaving this world sooner than I was ready.
But this turned out to be not life threatening. She had an infection which they treated with antibiotics, and they kept her to run some tests to rule out any bigger concerns, like cancer, etc and slowly put her back on solid food, which she hadn't been able to eat. It was slow and nerve wracking but she pulled through. She lost a ton of weight apparently though and once she returned home, her back started to give her trouble. She is unable to walk or stand for too long now. Luckily, my brother's family lives upstairs from my parents, and my sister-in-law has been cooking every night for my parents and my 15-year-old niece brings it down to them, eats with them, cleans the kitchen and goes back upstairs.
The amazing thing is that my mother is not defeated. She does not get depressed or cranky. She takes it in stride and keeps busy in any way that she can. She is probably the most over committed 84 year old and she is still doing it all. That is my mother. I called her last night to wish her a happy mother's day and she said, "all these years I thought I would be the one to take care of your father, but it's turning into the opposite." I was glad that I had a chance to chat with her again--that she did not spiral down. I know the day will come, but for now, I want to enjoy and appreciate her.
As I opened all the gifts, I reacted dramatically and examined everything carefully. Yuki's eyes were wide open and twinkly. You get to know your mom more when you become one. You suddenly remember every little thing your mom did that made you feel good. And then you do it for your kid. That, I believe is a way to honor your mom.
Happy Mother's Day, everyone.

Comments
Your mom is an inspiration to all of us!
xo
What a great story/stories.
- Uncle Professor Mister Miller
Janet is truly amazing (and so lovely. I think Yuki looks so much like her). I am glad to hear that she is feeling better, and that she's not letting anything get her down.