Skip to main content

these are not my daughters


My sister posted this picture on Facebook a few days ago with a note wondering how that man in the photo could be anyone but me. It isn't. It's my dad. Circa 1964. Still, even I did a double-take. He's about five years younger in that photo than I am now but the resemblance is downright alarming. I think the picture is flipped and that's his wedding band on his left hand we see (I'm basing this on the location of his shirt pocket -- men's dress shirts do not come with pockets on the right), but I wear a ring on my right ring-finger besides my wedding band on the left so it just added to the initial shock of thinking I was looking at a picture of me with tiny versions of four of my sisters. (And if you've been reading this thing for any length of time, those four adorable little girls grew up to be four of our most reliable commentors, so thanks Margaret, KT, Judy, and Gibs).

Not in the picture -- or in existence at the time -- are children five through eight. Older brother Paul, sister Annette, me, and baby brother Daniel. As I mentioned, that picture is from 1964. About three years later there would be three more kids on the scene. By the time my dad was the age I am now he had seven kids. SEVEN! And there was still one more to come. I barely have a handle on one. Ugh. Maybe when you have a gaggle (or a panic or a murder or whatever you call a large group of children) it gets easier? Like you can just think of them all as one entity rather than individuals and you just have to feed the entity and make sure it's in its bed at the end of the day. Whatever happens between meals during waking hours is up to the fates to decide.

Of my seven siblings, five have children. We are the only slackers who have just one. Through lagomorphic fertility and intermarriage those five siblings are responsible for 24 of Kiddo's cousins. I don't know if having a plurality (or flock or parliament or whatever) of young'ns is easier than having one but maybe one of them will favor us with a story in the comments. Oh, if only they pick up on my hint...

Just last night Mimi mentioned that sometimes she feels bad because Kiddo doesn't have any siblings. I go back and forth on that all the time. It isn't practical at this point to have another kid (nevermind if it's even possible) anyway. But it did make my heart race for a while. Like maybe we are doing her a disservice by not providing another person who knows why her parents are so damn weird.

Speaking of weird parents, I realized many years ago that despite all of the effort I made as a younger man to be nothing like my father, I was just taking the long way around to being exactly like him. He and I joke that I have "resigned myself to it." I look like him. I talk like him. I act like him. I kind of even dress like him. I'm not on to suspenders and red shirts every day, but can that be far off? Looking at that picture up top, I hope I have enough photos of me and Kiddo together. I realize every second of her life is being documented (the luck of the first-born -- as seventh born, I'm surprised anyone even has a picture of me), but I'm usually behind the camera. I'll have to be sure to get in there with her once in a while. Maybe when she's 43 she'll get as much joy from a photo of us together as I am getting from that picture of my pop and his first four.

And for whatever it's worth, he'll be 85 in December. A milepost I am more than half-way to.

Comments

KT said…
Ok, first -- why do I have a bowl cut?
Second -- Your deductive powers are awesome, Philip. (Men's dress shirts don't have pockets on the right? Who knew? Phil knew.)
Third -- Kiddo has lots of cousins (and aunts and uncles) who will be more than happy to explain why her parents are so weird (well, her dad, anyway.)
Fourth -- How much room do I get in this comment box?
Fifth -- I love that picture and miss my sisters plus all the siblings who were not present on that day.
Lisa Tucker said…
Philip, do you jingle your change in your pockets yet?

Andrew has already turned into his father. Actually, so has his sister EB, so it's doubly weird.

LOVE that photo.

lt
xo
Anonymous said…
I too, have often wondered why mom cut KT's hair in such a severe bowl cut...but what we now know about KT is that she can rock ANY hairstyle!!! I've been trying to think of a good story about Philip as a kid....to many to put here in this space.
If Yuki is ever wanting sibs just send her to one of her cousins house for a week in the summer. she will appreciate being a single!! And just so you know...whether you have one, two three or more kids...you always feel guilty about something!!!
xo
gibs
Anonymous said…
We've been on vacation, so a little late on this post. Here is what Mom says about the number of kids, and I must say I agree:

Having two is the not a lot harder than having one. You carry the same amount of crap and sleep about the same.

As soon as you have the third, you may as well have eight! You no longer have one in each hand, you have the third (4th 5th 6th 7th etc) on the loose. You switch from man-to-man to zone defense.

And I agree with Gibz. There is guilt no matter what. Josie does not have a sister, How many more kids should I have had to accomplish that? I regularly pick up an extra two or three kids to make things easier.

When Yuki is ready, send her down. She can fill in for Josie's sister. And vice versa!

And I think the correct term is a sh**load o'kids.

Judy
Margaret Miller said…
I'll never forget my youngest, Allen, sitting with his Dad on the couch looking at the family albums I'd put together. His comment: "Wow, Dad, we sure had a lot of fun with you--Mom never did anything!" (GUESS WHO was behind the camera for all those precious moments! Uncle Mr. David's Mom

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...