Skip to main content

unexpected gifts (xmas 2011, part 1)

People usually say how difficult the holidays are when you lose a family member. I was bracing myself for this but then I realized that I haven't spent Christmas in Japan that much since I left so I was no longer tied to too many of my family's traditions. This was no harder than it has been--but of course, a lot harder on my father and my brother's family. They had a routine. They would attend my brother's big band's Christmas concert, my mother would organize a Christmas party with her English students, they would get together on Christmas Eve to open some presents and attend mass on Christmas day. The lack of my mother's presence would be profound for them.

One thing that did ache my heart was that we were not going to receive a package prepared by my mother anymore. She was the gift buyer. She always packed us just the right things--some presents, some food, a calendar, and the zodiac animal to display for the following year. She was not the kind of grandmother who showered her grandchildren with gifts. She would choose a couple of just the right things for their education and development and always included one tasteful outfit. We all looked forward to getting her Christmas package every year. Even last year, she managed to put one together which contained a nice down coat for me. Her back was bothering her and I knew that she was not up to shop very much anymore so I told her not to worry about any gifts and yet, she put a box together. So the coat became the very last gift I ever received from her and it has been bitter sweet this winter to wear it. As we decorated the house, I took out my collection of the zodiac animals to see where we were and we had all but just two more. So I wrote to my brother and asked if he or his wife would be able to help complete the collection. He wrote back saying that was not a problem. Then I remembered that I was still going to receive something from Japan--my brother's family.

I think we all put an extra effort this year in each other's presents and it was so comforting to open their gifts. Yuki loved every little thing they gave her. But the biggest surprise was that my father went shopping for Yuki and me. He felt we should have something for Christmas and took himself to a book store and very carefully selected two lovely picture books for Yuki and a best-selling murder mystery book for me. I did not expect this. I never thought to ask him but he thought of it. I was touched beyond words. 

Here are the books:


A Hat Shop in The Acorn Village

This one is about three acorns who own a hat shop and decide to branch out in a big city. Their business fails at first but they realized they need to make hats that excite their customers and redesign their entire line and become a big success and bring that back to their village. Makes complete sense that my father, the business man of 37 years, would choose this story.



The Story of P

This one is about a small Boston Terrier that goes on a quest to bring back a basket full of strawberries for his mother who is expecting some puppies. Simple with beautiful art. My father used to do some traditional Japanese water color. This would also make sense.

We took these to California and read them almost every night. I suspect I might keep these books forever.

Ah yes, we went to California for Christmas. Which probably was just the best thing to do this year. Stay tuned.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mimi thank you for so eloquently and lovingly sharing your story. I am wishingyou and your family a year of peace and health and good things!
Peace
Gibsey
A.J. said…
Those books look amazing--the cover on the second one is just amazing. And three acorns running a business? I want to read both of those (but sadly will have to learn the language they're in first). Unexpected gifts are always nice, but these seem another lovely level entirely.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...