Recently, Kiddo and I finished reading a comic-book adaptation of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It was written by Eric Shanower (Go find his Age of Bronze books and read them. Now. Spectacular stuff.) and illustrated by Skottie Young (whose work I only know from this book but I am a huge fan now).
Here is what the cover looks like:

And because we take the dust jackets off of all of Kiddo's books (the ripping... the ripping) this is what ours looks like:

Remember this. It will be important later.
This weekend, Kiddo came into our room rather early (it's her thing) and climbed into bed with us. Then she got out of bed and was really quiet for a while. Then I could hear paper rustling and the squeak of markers. What was she doing? Making her own Oz book.
Her cover:

Page 1, the Good Witch.

Page 2, Dorothy and Toto

Page 3, The Cowardly Lion

This one makes me grin like a fool every time I see it. That hair!
Page 4, the Tin Woodsman
Go back up and look at the illustrated cover. I think she did a pretty good variation on the most distinct character in the book.
Page 5, the Scarecrow.

And finally. The back cover.

Yep. She added a UPC. The actual book doesn't even have one. And I didn't even notice until I was scanning the pages. I don't know what to make of this, but I am enamored with her devotion to detail.
She's also found her way into Star Wars recently (seriously, she got up on Sunday and said, "Daddy, let's watch Star Wars." Like I'd say no?) and later I'll post a few of her drawings of that.
Here is what the cover looks like:

And because we take the dust jackets off of all of Kiddo's books (the ripping... the ripping) this is what ours looks like:

Remember this. It will be important later.
This weekend, Kiddo came into our room rather early (it's her thing) and climbed into bed with us. Then she got out of bed and was really quiet for a while. Then I could hear paper rustling and the squeak of markers. What was she doing? Making her own Oz book.
Her cover:

Page 1, the Good Witch.

Page 2, Dorothy and Toto

Page 3, The Cowardly Lion

This one makes me grin like a fool every time I see it. That hair!
Page 4, the Tin Woodsman
Go back up and look at the illustrated cover. I think she did a pretty good variation on the most distinct character in the book.Page 5, the Scarecrow.

And finally. The back cover.

Yep. She added a UPC. The actual book doesn't even have one. And I didn't even notice until I was scanning the pages. I don't know what to make of this, but I am enamored with her devotion to detail.
She's also found her way into Star Wars recently (seriously, she got up on Sunday and said, "Daddy, let's watch Star Wars." Like I'd say no?) and later I'll post a few of her drawings of that.
Comments
Judy
-DT