Skip to main content

dreaded moment

Yuki has thus far listed many occupations that she might become interested in in the future. Among them are; astronaut, ballet dancer, a chef, a painter, a bus driver, a waitress, and a chief animator (she first said "art boss" and I asked her to clarify and she said "like Miyazaki") to name a few. We've heard these ideas and wonder "what is she actually going to be?" like all parents when children list such things.

Yuki recently was invited to a birthday party and a few days later, she told me that there was a dress up corner at this super fun party. I said:

"Oh, that is fun. What did you dress up as?

To which she replied, 

"Husky's cheerleader."

I groaned inside.  Then before I could say anything else, she said, 

"I want to be a cheerleader when I grow up."








Before I could gather up my panic my opened and out came "Oh, no no no no, honey. Don't be a cheerleader." 

Yuki looked at me in shock.  She looked as if I just asked her to cut off all of her 800 stuffed animals' heads off. With quivering lips she uttered, 

"But mommy, you said I can be anything I want..."

Oh, damn it!

The next several sentences were totally nonsensical:

"Oh no, well, you can be a cheerleader...when you are in older but in school.  Wait. No. Or a you know, be a dancer instead...uh, because...it's not really a job. Well, it is, but..."

I was going to prepare a speech for when she got to be preteen about how cheer leading is not particularly artistic and it is designed for men to look at, etc.  I was also going to tell her then to consider these things and if she still wants to do it, I would support her (well not really. But I will pretend really hard). 

EPIC FAIL.

But then it occurred to me that she was not asking to try out tomorrow (see, there is my first problem. I don't want my kid involved in anything that starts with a "try out." It must be "an audition." I know, I'm picky). She is just five and has no concept of what cheerleaders do. And like anything else, she will move on to other things. So I dropped it and it has not come up since.

This evening she told me that she would like to be a director. So I think we're back on track.

Comments

Unknown said…
I have felt felt that same panic! But you know- even if Yuki does become a cheerleader- she will bring all the originality and uniqueness to it that she brings to everything!!!

Popular posts from this blog

panicky interlude

This is not the promised "Magical Ponies" post. Apologies. Instead, this is the "You Negligent Monster" post. Because Kiddo is in a Japanese daycare, parents are asked to remove their shoes before coming in. No problem. I have a pair of loafers that I hate that I wear on pickup days so I can get in and out more quickly. Most days while I'm putting my shoes on, Yuki will run away from me and I will make noisy protestations and she will giggle and come back. Today, however, there was the running and the noisy protestations and the giggling and a splat. I guess she tripped ("running away" involves going around a corner where I can't see her) because she was crying and pulling herself up off the floor when I got to her. "No big deal" as she likes to say (she does, really, it's friggin' adorable). She had a little red line across the bridge of her nose but there was no blood. She asked for a Band Aid and I told her we'd get her one...