Back during the winter break, Yuki and I took a trip to Tokyo to see
my father. One morning, while Yuki was asleep, I decided to step out to
go get some milk from a store about 3 minutes away (rest assured--my
father was home). Just in case she woke up though, I left her the
following note:
When I returned 10 minutes later, I noticed that my alarm had gone off on my iphone. I opened the door and lifted Yuki blanket up to see if she was awake. She was. I said, "Sorry about the alarm. I went to get some milk. Did you get my note?" to which, she replied (crankily), "YES! I LEFT YOU A NOTE BACK!" I looked over and just below my note was this note:
(Yuki, I went to get some milk from the store. I will be right back. Mama)
When I returned 10 minutes later, I noticed that my alarm had gone off on my iphone. I opened the door and lifted Yuki blanket up to see if she was awake. She was. I said, "Sorry about the alarm. I went to get some milk. Did you get my note?" to which, she replied (crankily), "YES! I LEFT YOU A NOTE BACK!" I looked over and just below my note was this note:
(Mama, Can you please pick up your phone when you come back? It's one million times. Yuki)
Well,
I guess she dutifully responded in the way the initial message was
formatted. I laughed until I was crying. She giggled with me but then
didn't quite know why it was so funny.
Then this morning, Philip left her a note:
(This one shows up much more clear so I won't translate here)
Here
is the back ground: I am currently in rehearsal so Philip in charge in
the evenings. There is a writing assignment that Yuki gets on a Monday
which she has to turn in on a Friday every week. Like any writer, she
puts it off until Thursday night, which then turns into a whole mess of
fight. Eventually, she gets it done, but there is a lot of drama
involved. We suggested a while back that she tackles it on Monday so
it's done, which she did for a while but now she is back to not doing it
until later (which is our fault). She gets all of the other home work
at her after school program (GLSA) but she is convinced that she needs
Philip's help (him being the writer and all) and saves it for home.
Hence the note.
She reads it, starts munching on her breakfast, takes a pen and writes the following:
This
one, I did not laugh at. I told her that this was quite rude and
explained why Philip left such note and that she needs to at least get
the story started at GLSA. And that whole thing about the more you get
it done there, the more time she had to play at home, blah blah blah.
She sighed a teen-age sigh and said "OK." Later, I will touch on how to
express your thoughts and wishes in writing (which is so crucial before
she starts texting, emailing, and web posting) but I did not have the
energy or the time at 7:35 am.
Sass
aside, being able to write notes to her that she can read, then write
back is super useful and fun. We have a note book we use when I am in
rehearsal where I can leave her a message, and she also writes back:
It does my heart good to come home late at night and to read her little notes. I hope we can keep this up for a while.

Comments
xo
la