Skip to main content

seven

I am sure that we'll keep saying this every year, but seriously, I can't believe Yuki is now seven. A board member at my theatre who is about to leave town for her daughter' (a former student of mine)'s college graduation said to me, "Yuki is SEVEN?  I can't believe it!" I looked at her and said, "YOUR DAUGHTER IS GRADUATING FROM COLLEGE!!" We both shook our heads.

It is true: days are long, but the years fly by.

Unlike last year's excitement, we had a pretty smooth birthday celebration week this year.  I think we might just be getting right. Yuki invited 12 of her friends to my theatre and they had a dramatic adventure led by one of our best teachers, then saw the production of Peter Pan or The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up. My theatre is moving in June so this was the last opportunity for her to have a party at the current venue.  It was nice.  She was only about 4 weeks old she first "saw" a play in my arms there. And since then, she has grown up there seeing about 7 productions a year plus several classes.  She has sat through rehearsals, watched people craft the production and gained some understanding and appreciation for theatre in a way that regular kiddos don't get to. It is her second home. This was as much for me as it was for her and when I suggested it with that reason, she liked the idea, to which I am grateful.

This next few years I know will be the sweet spot before she reaches adolescence. I want to catch every bit of it.  It still does my heart so good when I hear her say, "mama."

Happy 7, Yuki.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

panicky interlude

This is not the promised "Magical Ponies" post. Apologies. Instead, this is the "You Negligent Monster" post. Because Kiddo is in a Japanese daycare, parents are asked to remove their shoes before coming in. No problem. I have a pair of loafers that I hate that I wear on pickup days so I can get in and out more quickly. Most days while I'm putting my shoes on, Yuki will run away from me and I will make noisy protestations and she will giggle and come back. Today, however, there was the running and the noisy protestations and the giggling and a splat. I guess she tripped ("running away" involves going around a corner where I can't see her) because she was crying and pulling herself up off the floor when I got to her. "No big deal" as she likes to say (she does, really, it's friggin' adorable). She had a little red line across the bridge of her nose but there was no blood. She asked for a Band Aid and I told her we'd get her one...