Skip to main content

30 seconds with Yuki, episode 55

In which we wonder if we should change the name of this blog to "A Lifetime of Curious Behavior."

And now, the preamble. We love Studio Ghibli movies. The studio, run by legendary animator Hayao Miyazaki, has created such movies as My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Ponyo, just to name a couple you might have heard of. A few years ago we bought a huge, imported box set from the local snooty video store (Scarecrow Video, if you know it) because we didn't think any of these movies would ever be released in the States. Well, shortly after we bought the set, Disney started releasing Ghibli movies in the U.S., which is great, but we had already spent a bundle on the box set.

ANYWAY, there is one movie that I'm not sure ever saw U.S. release. It's called Whisper of the Heart (that's the English title, at least, the literal translation of the Japanese title is "If You Listen Closely") and it's sweet and adorable and in heavy rotation in our house. Here is a scene from the movie that features a song you might recognize. Also, this is your homework. Please watch it for at least a couple of minutes, as you'll need it for what follows.



For you Singaporeans, and others, who can't view the above click here.

Oh, hi. You're back. Adorable, no? So a few nights ago, Kiddo was pounding out a song about Minnie Mouse on her toy piano (an original composition, I think, about Minnie Mouse going to a dance and then she got hot) when her foot caught her ukulele that was under the piano. After playing piano and uke simultaneously for a second, she stopped, looked at me, and said, "I need a chopstick." We went to the kitchen and picked out the perfect one. Then this happened.




The End.

Comments

Blythe said…
TOO cute! What does one have to do to get a live, in-person performance??
kt said…
Can't view the original (not unusual - lots of stuff gets blocked here) but who cares?? I love Yuki's version better!
Jess said…
Fabulous! I see a ukulele-bass guitar-fiddle family band in the Smatano future...
Uncle DT said…
Two words: Mountain Momma!!!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the relink, but as I suspected -- I love the Yuki version more! Her Virginny cousins will love it too!
amanda lee said…
I seriously cannot handle the cuteness of this. It' TOO MUCH!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
I have a violin that Matt used to play. It's on it's way to Yuki. Wayyyyyyy too adorable. Thank you for sharing your bambina with us. It is such a bright spot in my day. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
xoxox
gibs
smatano said…
Gibs, Mimi read your comment and asked, "Why does she hate us?"
Unknown said…
enviable skillz. majyckal!
Anonymous said…
Hey Mimi I had to endure a violin, drums, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, violin AND tuba with a smattering of piano!! I just want to share.....
xo
gibs
Auntie Dana said…
So cute! I love the song, but I think the bow is my favorite part of the performance! Love you, Yuki!
smatano said…
Gibs, we accept your kind(?) offer.
Everywhereist said…
Um, is she not wearing pants? Because I think I saw diaper when she bowed. If so, this just elevated the performance from awesome to PANTS-LESS AWESOME. Which, obviously, is more awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...