Skip to main content

another day, another layout

Oh. Hello. Welcome to our new look. Actually I think we were halfway through messing with a new template and we just stopped, and tonight I decided I didn't like the layout, so I picked this one. Will it make the writing any more interesting? I make no promises.

Life continues apace here at Chez Smatano. Potty training has plateaued a bit. While we can all now pee like champs, we are no longer even allowed to discuss pee-pee's less noble counterpart. Somehow it was starting to freak Kiddo out so we backed off. She'll get the hang of it, won't she? Won't she?!

We've been mostly enjoying the summer that refuses to come. We've had a few days of niceness, but it's been mostly gray and crappy. Occasionally we get a nice day, so we try to take advantage of it.


On one of those rare nice days, we bid a fond "auf wiedersehen" to our pals Joe, Nicole and Frieda, who are off on a grand adventure to Germany (Nicole is from Germany, originally, and Joe just got a job there). They threw a swell party. Not sure Kiddo understood the reason for the party. We lost her at "bounce house."


Though she did spend some time trying to find a price on the cat.


And later she favored us with a tune on the melodica.


Otherwise, she continues to enjoy her princess dresses.


And recently concocted this beauty (Mama helped with construction).


Which led to us getting her this which, as you can tell, she hates.


I mean, really, REALLY hates.

Hates it like she hates ramen.


Hates it like she hates cupcakes.


Hates it like she hates her mother's iPod.


Seriously? It's kind of alarming to watch her flip through that thing. She definitely has a knack for it. I look forward to her mocking us for having kept a blog. How positively antediluvian.

Oh, and she continues to be a quote machine. She's really into make-believe right now (which is awesome) and will often "cook" for us and give us things to eat. The other day she handed Mimi an invisible something that Mimi very dutifully "ate". Yuki looked at her and said, "Don't eat the kitty."

Her rules are hard to learn.

In an example of the way her mind works, as Kiddo and Mimi were getting ready to leave the house, Kiddo put on her sweatshirt and announced, "I want to zip it up so my dress doesn't get away."

And, finally, the other day when I picked her up from daycare, she walked out into the hallway, pulled down the front of her dress and shouted, "BOOBIES!"

My hair is getting grayer just telling the story. So I will close with tonight's outfit. Rainbow tank top, flowered capri pants (not pictured), a black skirt, a yellow dress, and a plastic Los Angeles Dodgers helmet that's at least 35 years old. She has her father's fashion sense.


Comments

Everywhereist said…
Holy crap, she's gorgeous. You realize that years from now, when she's a star in the fashion industry, these photos will be splattered across some magazine with some blurb about how she was a sartorial genius at the tender age of three.

I love her to pieces. Dinner, soon, please. Even if it's kitties.
Anonymous said…
Did she find Annette's whales? Be careful where you sit!!

I LOVE her fashion sense. I think it is a bit too colorful to be her father's, though. I seem to remember a lot of black and metal there.

Judy
Anonymous said…
The diaphanous and orange butterfly outfit shines even in photos. And I say, take the melodica and a few outfits and hit the road. She will be a star.
Anonymous said…
I have just one thing to say: i love Yuki!!!

Keep writing! (oops 2 things - typical!)
xo
Gibs
KT said…
I have two weddings to attend this month. Could you send Yuki to help me decide what to wear? Wait -- better not. Don't want to outshine the brides. She's too cute!!
Love,
KT
careohline said…
I hate this post. As much as I hate this blog. ;)

- Caroline

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...