Skip to main content

seriously, I'm serious.

With April 22nd approaching (in less than 3 months she'll be 4!), Philip and I were reflecting on the fact that our daughter's pain-in-the-assedness is tapering off somewhat. That said, she is lately a total freak at dinner time. She can't transition. It is totally the "witching hour" thing but man, she fights and cries about washing hands and coming to the table and eating so very much it is maddening.

Last night was no different. Yuki used to watch a little TV before dinner, but since this transition hell started, we decided to nix the TV. So Philip and Yuki were playing "Halloween" rather nicely, dressing up in costumes and coming into the kitchen to say "Trick-or Treat!" Then I announced dinner. Yuki, predictably, started to go through her usual fuss and after a while, Philip told her that he was under a spell and if she washed her hands, the spell will be lifted. The spell in question here is that he had been turned into Minnie Mouse. He had Yuki's Minnie Mouse ears and was speaking in a high-pitched voice. Yuki was not amused. She screamed at Philip to cut it out and he kept going. After about 5 minutes of this, Philip finally got Yuki in the bathroom but she still wouldn't wash her hands. The patient man finally lost his shit and said the following:

"I have had it with your crap every night. Why does it take so long to complete the simple task of washing your hands? It's causing me to stand here with Minnie Mouse ears on my head and yell at you which is ridiculous. Like your behavior!"

I was curled up in a ball on the kitchen floor trying to kill my giggles before they walked in so I had the supportive parental frown. I managed to stand back up just in time. Yuki tried a couple more things on us to which I put a "Japanese" stop, if you get my drift. (Note: there is no hitting involved, just shame). Then we had a nice dinner. Which is always how it ends. A nice dinner. It just takes 20 minutes to get to there.

I swear I feel like we're doing the dining room scene from The Miracle Worker* sometimes. But with mouse ears.




Art by Halie Looper who cooked up this masterpiece upon request. The editors of A Lifetime of Worry are a little dumbstruck.**


*For those who have never seen it, click here.
**For more art by Halie, click here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Halie that is awesome! - mg
and Gabrielle - I did not!!!
KT said…
If this is what we get to enjoy in January, I can't wait to see your Christmas card. Philip's attempt at "a good talking to" is hilarious. Perhaps a quick squirt of germ-killing gel would put an end to the shenanigans. (Hers, not his. Please, Philip, keep up the shenanigans.)
Anonymous said…
I don't think Helen washed her hands.
Judy
Anonymous said…
great picture! Maybe Yuki is ready for a little watch or clock so you can post a picture schedule of when it's time to wash hands and when it's time to eat...it works great for my students who have trouble transitioning. Or you can just be an angry guy in mouse ears...yea - do that - it's wayyyy more entertaining!!!!
xo
gibs
Lisa Tucker said…
Oh my oh my oh my. HAHAHAHAHA. Philip, I'm sorry to laugh at your pain but that is f'ing hilarious. The story, and the artwork. AND I love that you lose it sometimes as a parent. I think because you only do it sometimes, it carries more of a wallop. I think.

lt
xo
Geraldine said…
Wow. I really, really want to be friends with the artist. That is amazing.

So is the image of Philip getting upset in mouse ears.
me said…
Geraldine. I read your blog. We can soooooo be friends.

The Artist (I just like being called that)

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...