Skip to main content

don't put pretzels in your belly button*

Because I guess right after your kid gets a handle on potty training it's time to start talking about elementary school, that's what we're doing. There's an allegedly great school near us that does half-day Japanese instruction and we really REALLY want Kiddo to go there. I say "allegedly" because we don't really know a heck of a lot about it besides they do Japanese immersion and the bilingual thing remains important to us (even if some of us are not actually bilingual ... why are you looking at me?). That and the school has a great reputation. The bummer is that we are not in the district and while we can apply to get into it we are either de-prioritized because we are out of the area but maybe re-prioritized because Mimi is a native speaker. So maybe it's a wash.

There's also a private school nearby that does Japanese instruction and while we never thought we'd be the private school types, we did some quick math and with some creative living we could probably make it happen. Such is our desire to make sure she continues to learn and speak Japanese. Of course she'll probably decide to be a French major in college, but we'll keep trying nonetheless.

Or we could just freeze time and keep her at almost-four-years-old forever and not have to worry about it. Sigh.

Oh and while we are making ourselves crazy with all of this, Kiddo has decided that she cannot go to sleep without us being in her room. We are trying to get her back to how she was in the good old days of September 2010 when we could kiss her goodnight and walk out of her room without a problem. But for now we sit in her room with her until she falls asleep and hope that she sleeps through the night instead of coming in to our bed at 3:00. Or screams from her bed until we go into her room at 3:00. And then we try to ignore the stories from our friends whose kids had sleep issues until they were 8. Or 11.

And lately I've been going through our Book of Quotes that we keep for Kiddo and now I am going to share some with you because it's more fun that stressing out about schools or wondering when I'll ever get a regular night's sleep.

*The title of this post is actually something I heard Mimi scream at Kiddo just the other day.

My daughter the Catskills comedian after taking her clothes off and announcing she was playing "beach":
Me: Are you at a nude beach?
Kiddo: No, I'm at an old beach.

My daughter the delicate flower after ... breaking wind while sitting on a wooden bench:
"That sounds like a scooter!"

While folding both of her ears in half because I guess it felt interesting:
Kiddo: I'm making my ears into a house.
Me: Who's going to live there?
Kiddo: Just me. No more grownups in my house.

I think this one was inspired by a book we had from the library:
"I'm going to change my name. From now on call me Betty."

I don't even know what this one was about:
"My hair got strong and puffy like a blueberry."

And then sometimes she manages to be sweet as pie:
Kiddo (at bedtime, handing Mimi imaginary objects): Here put this in your eye. You'll have nice dreams.
Mimi: What's this one?
Kiddo: That is a bunny dream. Here, put these in your eyes.
Mimi: What are these?
Kiddo: These are Yuki dreams.

Comments

A.J. said…
Those quotes are amazing--especially "My hair got strong and puffy like a blueberry." Kids are the finest poets (and yours seems to know a lot about scooters, too). Forget about schools--look for agents.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like a scooter!! (is your nickname scooter Phil?)
She is a crack up!
xoxo
gibs
Everywhereist said…
Oh, god, that last one. Yuki dreams?

Sigh.

Please excuse me while I go punch myself in the uterus until my maternal urgings die. AGAIN.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...