Skip to main content

a matter of taste and not having it

Fighting Kiddo's night-owl tendencies is pointless. So we are looking for ways to at least get her used to us not being in the room the whole time with her. My favorite method is "here, read something." It works surprisingly well considering she can't actually read.

Recently she decided to dive into the box of 35-year-old comics I've picked up at some comic convention or another. She didn't want to touch them for a while because they had "fuzzy pages" (newsprint) and she only liked the comic books with "soft pages" (glossy pages). Modern comics are all printed on "soft pages". I told her once that she was missing out on some really good stories (I may or may not have been talking about The Wacky Adventures of Cracky).

Then last night, after cleaning and organizing her room, she decided she wanted to look at the "fuzzy" comics. She even said, "There might be some really good stories in there." (Dadoo weeps.) So, she's been staying up really late looking at old copies of Scamp, Woody Woodpecker, Mickey Mouse Adventures, Baby Snoots, and Huey, Dewey & Louie.

Photo taken at 10:30 pm, right before we switched to seven different Curious George books.

I, like any good father, was patting myself on the back for raising a daughter who is clearly developing very sophisticated tastes when she called to me, "Daddy? Come here I want to show you sumfin." (Most of her speech oddities have gone away, but 'th' still gives her trouble now and then.) As I came into the room, she turned the back cover of the comic to me and said, "Aren't these just so cute? I want a dog like this."


My eyes! My delicate, delicate eyes!

To maintain my sanity, and to exercise my denial muscle, I have decided that Kiddo has an advanced sense of kitsch and an unbelievable dead-pan delivery. Fortunately, this comic was from 1970, so I don't think this amazing $1 art offer is still valid. I suspect the most cursory trip across the internet would lead me to one or more of these beauties available for purchase, but I am not going to poke that particular hornet's nest. 

Later we are going to tackle her inability to go to sleep at night, but for now, I have to steer her on the right path to the fine arts. Where did I put that Porky Pig comic book?

Comments

kt said…
I've been looking and looking to see if that Amazing Art is still available.I'll even pay inflation adjusted prices. No luck yet but I haven't given up.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...