Hi. Too close?
I am a fan of Aaron Sorkin. I am very sad that his NBC show, “Studio 60,” is cancelled for I enjoy his dialogue. Perhaps I like him because I read somewhere that he was a musical theatre major in college. Who knows? But apparently, I was the only person watching the show, so there you have it. In between the last installments of “Studio 60” that are being aired currently, I decided to have an Aaron Sorkin festival and rented “Sports Night” from Netflix. I remember liking the show when it was on nearly 10 years ago and it is fun to see actors who have since gone on to do more Aaron Sorkin shows, as well as others. I first watched an episode of “Studio 60” where Mathew Perry, in a flashback sequence, tells the studio executive played by Tim Daly to “Fire me or shut the hell up.” I then later popped in “Sports Night” and came across a scene in which Felicity Huffman tells her network execs, “Fire me or shut the hell up.” I gasped and said to Yuki, “Aaron Sorkin recycles lines!” then launched into an impromptu song about how even Aaron Sorkin recycles lines. It was at this point that I thought perhaps it’s good that my maternity leave is coming to an end.
During the last couple of weeks, I hung out with friends with babies, which is not only fun, but also refreshing and educational. I have now been to Green Lake more than ever before, walking around the lake along with 350 other moms or dads with their strollers. The best though was last week’s movie event. A friend (Heather, mother of Sophie) told me about this multiplex movie theatre offering “mommy/baby movies” on Thursday mornings at 10am. You pay one ticket price (a matinee price at that!) and you get in to any movies they are showing that day at 10am (there are 3 or 4 current films). So I went with another friend of mine (Nicole, mother of Frieda). It was a bit of an ordeal to get out of the house in time to make it there, but I somehow did and when we got into the theatre there were easily 30 strollers parked in the aisle and everyone was seated with a baby in their lap. AND you can order food from your seat and they will bring it to you. WHAT IS THAT ABOUT? I didn’t think I would get to see Ocean’s 13 until it came out on DVD but there I was with Yuki on my lap, watching George Clooney stand around in tuxedo-which is all he needs to do to entertain me. It was hilarious. The seat was luxuriously wide and cushy, AND it bounced, which is so very helpful when you have an infant. People were very courteous to each other and obviously were tolerant of any crying or squealing babies. Amazing. I can’t believe more theatres don’t do this. I will be going there again.
We also went to a pub that was known for being family friendly with the aforementioned Heather and Sophie and dad Brian. Sophie was born just three days after Yuki. The place had good food and it was as if I had stepped into a Smith family Christmas: kids of all ages crawling about, parents talking to each other, and everybody having a nice time (and it was REALLY LOUD – Philip). When you become a parent, you suddenly belong to a new cult. There is sort of an instant bond with other people with babies. We look forward to hanging out with more friends with babies in the future.
As I mentioned before, I go back to work next Monday. It seems true what people say about raising kids, that “the days are long, but the years fly by.” It’s been a great couple of months, full of self-discovery. I have various feelings about going back to work, but for the month of July, Philip is taking a paternity leave (thank you Cranium!) We have worked things out so that we won’t need any sort of childcare until September. Then it’s either a nanny or a daycare, which we are currently researching. That will be a whole new set of stress, but in the meantime, Yuki has found her thumb, and Trixie is getting into the habit of tearing up any paper products she can find in the house when we leave her alone. Stay tuned. Perhaps Philip will be doing more of the writing in the upcoming weeks.

Comments