Skip to main content

yup, it happened

I turned 40 today.

just ... let me ... *sigh* ... just give me a minute, okay?

When I was a child, I used to think, "In the year 2000, I will be 32. I will have a perm and three kids." Don't ask. Now it is 2008. I didn't need to think beyond 2000 because that was just way too far into the future, though I did wonder if I would be wearing some sort of silver jump suit. No jump suits here.

ribbons from birthday presents are perfectly acceptable head wear

What is it about entering a new decade that seems to freak us all out? Why do I care? 30 was actually a good year. I was relieved to be 30. But 40. Man, that sounds like I should totally have my crap together. That is a grown up age. There is no excuse and yet, at a time like this, I can't seem to recall anything significant that I have accomplished in my life. Hence there is sense of panic. It's totally irrational. How could I be 40? I'm soooooo immature. There are so many things I don't know how to do. Wasn't I supposed to have done about 25 things I didn't get to? I see people on TV and suddenly most of them are younger than I am. And everyone in their 40s look OLD!! I keep looking for those who look "good for their age" and coming up empty. Where are my people? What is going on? What happened to my 30s? Did I have a good time? I go into a drama spiral of operatic proportion, then Philip yanks me out of it.

"You have spent your 30s with me, and you had a daughter before you turned 40." Right. Good. Deep breath. Panic subsiding.

Philip made me a pancake breakfast, then he showered me with nice gifts, then we all went to the zoo and got a family membership. Then we went to my favorite restaurant and ate about 50 pounds of sushi.

first one to ask "which one's Philip?" gets a punch in the nose

It was a glorious day.

there are worse ways to spend your birthday, 40th or otherwise

40 is the new 30. Apparently 50 is the new 35, which makes 60 the new 37-1/2. Whatever. I'll just be what I'll be.

But still, I should be smarter, or something.


at least I can look smart (yes it's the Arts section, shut up)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Mimi!!!

Erika
Happy birthday, Mimi! I'm amazed we didn't see you, we were at the Zoo yesterday, too, and we also now have a Membership! Let's please all go to the zoo together?!?!? I miss you guys, Yuki is so beautiful and so big, I love seeing lots of pictures of Yuki's butt in her pj's, just like Sophie - how can one resist?
Anyway, happy 40th, and let's make a zoo date!!!
-heather, brian & sophie
Anonymous said…
Mimi -
Give it a few months..you'll settle into 40 then you'll love it. Being 40 means saying whatever you want to whomever you want and never apologizing (well mostly never). Being 40 means you say NO with no explanation. It's a great time! You will love it. You are smart, you are beautiful...
love you
Gibs
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday, Mimi!
Much love to you and your family,
Jen
Amy said…
XOXO to Mimi on her 40th - please gid let me look half as good and together at mine!

love to the family

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...