Skip to main content

peas in her nose, and other delights

Mimi was working last night so kiddo and I were having dinner together. She often takes her sweet time eating so I usually get up and start cleaning the kitchen while she's working her way through her food. I'm never more than a few feet away so if anything happens I can get to her. So, after I put the dishes in the sink I turned around to check on her and she sort of stopped in the middle of bringing both hands up to her face and she was grinning grinning grinning. I asked her what she was doing and she giggled and started putting peas up her nose.

Sigh.

Feeding the polar bear. We have to clean his teeth after meals so he doesn't get cavities. Or mold.

I ran over and wiped her hands and then she immediately stuck her finger up her nose. I pulled that out and had a look and – lo and behold! – pea in the nose! Well, I couldn't get it and she kept poking it up there with her finger and I kept trying to get her to blow her nose and then I went and got tweezers but she wasn't letting me get anywhere near her with those and then I had to run through the scenarios in my head and had to remind myself that the pea was NOT going to get into her brain and would most likely fall out or be swallowed but what if it got stuck and started to rot inside her sinus cavity should I take her to hospital now or should I wait and see oh my god why is she crying is she in pain how many peas are up there I better call Mimi and tell her but I don't know what good that will do and then when I went to get her out of her high chair because she was crying and clearly uncomfortable … PLOP! The pea came out and landed in the pocket of her bib.

Crisis averted. Dadoo saves the day!

One of the rocks she has been stealing from the neighbor. So far she hasn't tried to stick it up her nose.

She's definitely starting to enter a new area of "But I Just Turned Around For A Second" danger. She can get on and off the couch by herself. She can climb up the stairs unassisted. I suspect she's moments away from figuring out the gates. She can reach all the doorknobs …

She loves playing a game we call "Bye see ya'" in which she goes into the bathroom and says "Bye see ya'" and shuts the door. Then we open the door from the other side and make a big noise and laughter ensues. Repeat. Occasionally she locks the door from the inside. Less frequently she can unlock the door by herself. Just the other day, Mimi had to get a nail to poke into the doorknob to unlock it from the outside. Laughter ensued. Repeat.

Picked her up from daycare on Tuesday. She had stickers on her face. They would stay there until bath time.

Less dangerous but still kind of odd is her new affinity for listening to music over the baby monitor. She turns on the CD player in her bedroom (it's either They Might Be Giants' "Here Come the ABCs", aka "A-B-SHE-D!" or the Park Slope Parents compilation from Uncle Mister Miller, aka "Doo-doo-doo!") then goes into our bedroom, takes her baby monitor, and gets into our bed. Then she just lies there, listening to the music. We listened to the ABCs in its entirety on Sunday. It was actually rather relaxing.

Make up your own caption. I have to go to bed.

Finally, because I am so very tech savvy, I've recently remembered that I have a camera in my mobile phone. I've never had one before. Gol'! Anyway, I usually have it on me and have started using it to catch the kid doing stuff that I might otherwise miss by going to get the regular camera. All of the photos in this post are courtesy of said camera phone.

Dear Diary ...

Now you know.




Comments

Michelle said…
Oh. My. God. Had I been drinking milk, it would have come out my nose. Much like Yuki's peas.

Zack has a game similar to "Bye see ya'", but we call it "Where is Zachary?" He says bye and leaves the room, closing the door behind him. We are supposed to say, "Where is Zachary?" (though, if we don't do it on his schedule, he'll say it for himself), then he bursts through the doors and shouts, "Here he is!" Cue laughter and repeat.
Lisa Tucker said…
Don't let her stick a Barbie doll tennis ball up her nose like Lyse Garfinkel did (at a much more advanced age, I might add)...kids today!
Anonymous said…
Remember when Annette shoved a button up her nose and sneezed it out her mouth!!! I still laugh at that!
xo
Gibs
Amy said…
Today I extracted a pretzel stick from Aria's nose. Must be a sign of spring. I like the stickers, covers the head scar very well!
A Granddaughter said…
ok. i haven't laughed that hard in a very long time. nice job, dadoo. you are the pea! extraction! super! hero! i need to make you a cape...
Anonymous said…
My "little cousin" Aaron at about the same age (who is now already returned from his first stint with the Marines) did the same thing with peas: in this case, Auntie Ginger took one away from him that he had just shoved up there. She saw a second one lodged in there, so she took that one out too. Just to be sure she took a good look way up in his schnoz and saw a THIRD pea way up in there. Of course Aaron was a pretty big kid so his nose had the capacity for so many peas.

Later the same day a raisin was making its way up there.
Anonymous said…
Also, we love that the Park Slope compilation is in regular rotation.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...