Skip to main content

picture day

Today was Picture Day at Megumi Preschool. Though our not-quite-two-year-old kiddo has already had a Parent/Teacher conference, and has started speaking in sentences, and has many opinions about many things and isn't afraid to share them, something about Picture Day gave me an acute case of the OhMyGodShe'sGrowingUpTooFasts.

Damn. Though advances in technology allow the photographer to provide a preview of the photo on the same day it is taken, the camera they use is still the same one they've always used. The one that robs the subject of any sense of personality and is programmed to snap the photo at the exact moment the subject looks least like they normally do. Of course, I'm the dad, so I might be biased. I think they also use this camera for passports and drivers licenses. It didn't help that the kid was very sleepy. Perhaps this is why they think she is "reserved" at school.

Anyway, please to enjoy Prisoner 24601.

Yuki, Class of '09
Honor Society, French Club, Model U.N.


If you're lucky, you'll get a wallet size of this beauty for your very own. Because we are totally ordering a set.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is perfectly awful.
But then, I reflect on my school portfolio -- bucked teeth, then braces, glasses, Gretel braids criss-crossed on top of my head, the failed attempt at the Farrah Fawcett flip -- and say, "Join the club, kiddo."
Michelle said…
I'm not sure I could pick that out of a bunch of pictures as Yuki! So very much not her.
Gillian said…
I totally thinks this looks like Yuki's First Headshot: y'know, the kind where young actors end up looking ridiculous because they are trying to look all serious in order to prove their training.

So, yes, not representative at all, but still hilarious! (And clearly still a cutehead.)
Anonymous said…
Haha - got my own already! Good old cut and paste. Thanks! Yuki so so so cute. Love ya all - Margaret
Lisa Tucker said…
hahahahahaha...oh, i'm sorry, yuki. it is SOOO over-serious headshot AND just a wee bit of first week of 'america's next top (toddler) model'.

gotta love her stylin' magenta cardigan, though.
Anonymous said…
Love the curly cue love the outfit. Love the pensive look. I love the whole thing. I think it's adorable!!!
xoxo
gibs
A Granddaughter said…
Hilarious. I expect a wallet size. Even if it is a photocopy.
esheehan said…
Grace's school picture this year is very similar. I sometimes wonder if they ask them to multiply 6397 by 30286 and take the picture while they ponder that one, just to get those facial expressions! :)

Erika

PS, love the Les Miz reference! :)
Anonymous said…
If it makes you feel any better, they actually tried picture day at Colt's daycare too. Apparently Colt got so freaked out by the strange people and being taken to a different room that they didn't even take a photo. Too bad. i bet it would have been a keeper!
Chanda
amanda lee said…
I just love that you called her Prisoner 24601. I LOVE IT!
Everywhereist said…
In her defense, the photographer actually said, "Now ... GIVE ME ANGER! ANGER! ... Now, confusion! Ennui!"

Talented little monkey that she is, she gave all three.
Anonymous said…
That photo is tough--she's ready to take on the world and stare down evil-doers as needed. And the flare on that hair is going to make models green with envy.
Anonymous said…
To be honest, I actually love this photo. I think it says everything about what she thought about that photographer.
xo
la
Eli said…
Did she also steal a loaf of bread and save a man from under an immensely heavy cart? Just wondering.

You make my sides hurt with these comments. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...