Skip to main content

yuki check

After a long day, when dinner is done, and a bath has been had, we settle in for a few good books. If it's late, we keep it to about three, but if time permits we read and read and read. 10? 15? 30? Keep 'em coming. Kiddo has even managed to memorize parts of several books (the classic "Do you like my hat?" scene from Go, Dog. Go! is currently very popular) and one whole book in Japanese (the delightful, はい! ).

When book time is done and it's time for bed, she likes to be surrounded by all of her best pals. Yes, while some kids snuggle up with stuffed animals, our kid cuddles with books.


We make several stacks in bed with her and then listen on the monitor as she reads them all out loud or does a puppet show or has conversations with them or whatever noisy thing she is doing in there when we leave her alone. Sometimes I wish we had a video monitor. I'm sure she would be great television.

Then before we go to bed a few hours later, it's time for "Yuki Check!" where we go in and try to sneak all of the books out of her crib so she doesn't spend the night on them. Not sure why we bother since it doesn't seem to keep her up, and if she wakes up before we do, the first thing she does is pull all of the books off of her dresser and back into her bed.

I hope her love of books is a problem we always have.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hooray for books. Hooray for Yuki loving books! Hooray for parents who let their baby sleep with books!!!
xoxo
gibs
Robin said…
unrelated: when do you add a pillow and toys to the crib mix?
Michelle said…
"Stop, dogs! Stop! The light is red now," was a popular red light chant in our car for quite some time.

Zack sleeps on books, too. Seriously, how do they do that? Are we going to have to find pediatric chiropractors?
Nikki Prz said…
Truly a girl after my own heart. I used to do this, too, and I still often fall asleep with a pile of two or three books next to me in bed.
Heather said…
Both our boys, now teens - often fall asleep while reading, or with their books, or while listening to a book on their Ipods...once it begins, it never ends. This is great thing!
A.J. said…
At what time does Philip sneak in and sub in comics for the books, so she dreams of capes and costume heroes?
Ursula Krentz said…
Ooo-- I see the Raymond Briggs "Father Christmas" in there... a huge hit over here! That is one I grew up on and love to see my daughter enjoying as much as I did. Ah, book memories are so sweet.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...