Friday
I get Yuki up in the morning and just put underpants on her without asking. When she realized what she had on, she protested and whined a bit, but stopped rather quickly and then seemed pleased. I told her she has been so good at going potty that I knew she was ready for underpants.
We go to run some errands and we both survive. Every time I take her to the bathroom, she went without much argument. I knew I was taking a gamble because we had to go to the theatre that night for my play opening. I felt that may have been poor planning on my part, but there was no turning back. I get there, and in between running around, I take her to the bathroom which she has been a bit afraid of. She panics a bit, cries, and tells me that she doesn't want to go. I take her back to my office to be with Philip. 30 minutes later, I take her again, and this time she goes. I can't believe it. She goes home with Philip (as I had opening night celebrations) and insists on sleeping in her underwear. I get this via text from Philip and in my exhausted haze I think to myself, "I'll just put a potty in her room and put a note on it saying, 'if you have to pee, go here.'" Later I remember, Yuki can't read.
Saturday
Yuki wakes up to pee-pee bed. Big shock. We convince her that it's probably a good idea for now to put a diaper on when she goes to sleep. She agrees. We proceed to put underpants on for the day. We go to a birthday party. I take her to the bathroom there and she goes. After we get home, she has one accident but then keeps telling me that she didn't want to pee in her underpants again. She tries to help me clean. I tell her it was an accident and next time when she has to go, to tell me. I leave to go to my show and Yuki panics in the middle of the dinner. Philip asks if she has to go. She is unsure and freaks out a bit. Philip takes her and she goes. Crisis averted. Philip explains to her that she just has to tell him when she has to go. After dinner, she demands to put a diaper on. Turns out she has to go #2. Feeling that it's a bit too much to push the issue (no pun intended) at this stage, Philip grants her request. We agree that it's better than a constipated kid.
Sunday
Yuki goes a whole day without diaper and without incident. She even goes in the restroom at Target, which took a bit of coaxing. After bribing her with the promise with a small gift (which ended up being a three-pack of rubber ducks from the $2.50 bin) it was a success. I am going to run to the local Japanese dollar store to stock up on "public toilet success gifts" and/or "pooping in the potty gifts." I should work in retail.
Monday
Yuki wakes up to a dry diaper (which has happened a number of times before) and successfully goes to the potty. I don't make her go before arriving at daycare so that I can help her to go there. Yuki's teacher has suggested we take her to the bathroom there because another child who was having trouble going at school was able to transition when his mom went with him. So we have been trying that for a week, without success. I feel we have turned a corner so when we get there I take her straight to the bathroom in her classroom and make her sit. She keeps saying that she doesn't have to go. I tell her that this is just like all the other bathrooms she went in and that I will sit with her until she goes. I also tell her that she is wearing underpants and it would not be good to have an accident at school. She sits. And she goes. I give her lots of hugs and I take her to her teacher. Her teacher is excited to hear this development and encourages Yuki.
Philip picks her up in the afternoon and takes her to the restroom before leaving. Yuki kicks him out so that she can go by herself. The teacher wrote in the note book that Yuki was excited to go and was successful each time. At dinner time, she tells me that she has to change her underpants. I sit her on the toilet and she goes. It was her way of telling me that she had to pee. She had a small leak but most of it went in the toilet. I'm going to call that progress.
So, I guess she is potty trained? Mostly? Take it away, Beaker.
I get Yuki up in the morning and just put underpants on her without asking. When she realized what she had on, she protested and whined a bit, but stopped rather quickly and then seemed pleased. I told her she has been so good at going potty that I knew she was ready for underpants.
We go to run some errands and we both survive. Every time I take her to the bathroom, she went without much argument. I knew I was taking a gamble because we had to go to the theatre that night for my play opening. I felt that may have been poor planning on my part, but there was no turning back. I get there, and in between running around, I take her to the bathroom which she has been a bit afraid of. She panics a bit, cries, and tells me that she doesn't want to go. I take her back to my office to be with Philip. 30 minutes later, I take her again, and this time she goes. I can't believe it. She goes home with Philip (as I had opening night celebrations) and insists on sleeping in her underwear. I get this via text from Philip and in my exhausted haze I think to myself, "I'll just put a potty in her room and put a note on it saying, 'if you have to pee, go here.'" Later I remember, Yuki can't read.
Saturday
Yuki wakes up to pee-pee bed. Big shock. We convince her that it's probably a good idea for now to put a diaper on when she goes to sleep. She agrees. We proceed to put underpants on for the day. We go to a birthday party. I take her to the bathroom there and she goes. After we get home, she has one accident but then keeps telling me that she didn't want to pee in her underpants again. She tries to help me clean. I tell her it was an accident and next time when she has to go, to tell me. I leave to go to my show and Yuki panics in the middle of the dinner. Philip asks if she has to go. She is unsure and freaks out a bit. Philip takes her and she goes. Crisis averted. Philip explains to her that she just has to tell him when she has to go. After dinner, she demands to put a diaper on. Turns out she has to go #2. Feeling that it's a bit too much to push the issue (no pun intended) at this stage, Philip grants her request. We agree that it's better than a constipated kid.
Sunday
Yuki goes a whole day without diaper and without incident. She even goes in the restroom at Target, which took a bit of coaxing. After bribing her with the promise with a small gift (which ended up being a three-pack of rubber ducks from the $2.50 bin) it was a success. I am going to run to the local Japanese dollar store to stock up on "public toilet success gifts" and/or "pooping in the potty gifts." I should work in retail.
Monday
Yuki wakes up to a dry diaper (which has happened a number of times before) and successfully goes to the potty. I don't make her go before arriving at daycare so that I can help her to go there. Yuki's teacher has suggested we take her to the bathroom there because another child who was having trouble going at school was able to transition when his mom went with him. So we have been trying that for a week, without success. I feel we have turned a corner so when we get there I take her straight to the bathroom in her classroom and make her sit. She keeps saying that she doesn't have to go. I tell her that this is just like all the other bathrooms she went in and that I will sit with her until she goes. I also tell her that she is wearing underpants and it would not be good to have an accident at school. She sits. And she goes. I give her lots of hugs and I take her to her teacher. Her teacher is excited to hear this development and encourages Yuki.
Philip picks her up in the afternoon and takes her to the restroom before leaving. Yuki kicks him out so that she can go by herself. The teacher wrote in the note book that Yuki was excited to go and was successful each time. At dinner time, she tells me that she has to change her underpants. I sit her on the toilet and she goes. It was her way of telling me that she had to pee. She had a small leak but most of it went in the toilet. I'm going to call that progress.
So, I guess she is potty trained? Mostly? Take it away, Beaker.
Comments
ps: maybe your next "other blog" entry could be on the discreet differences between the Japanese dollar store and the "regular" dollar store.
xoxo, your editor
xoxoxox
Gibs
p.s. i love beaker.