Potty training still very much on our minds this week. We are grateful for all the kind wishes and suggestions left in the comments of last week's post/diatribe/recounting-of-unfortunate events. Sadly, Kiddo's aversion to the toilet is stronger than any bribe.
We tried stickers. That lasted about a day.
Me: You want a sticker?
She: (pause) Nah.
Me: (expletive)
We did tattoos for a while. That went pretty well for a bit. She was even starting to look like a biker, but her interest in pretend ink is on the wane.
We bought underpants. Then we bought some more. And then we tried more. We now have 21 pairs of Minnie Mouse/Hello Kitty/Tinkerbell chones that are in a box in the office. She likes to sort them but has no interest in wearing them. We did get her to wear them one day but after she peed on the floor twice, we backed off.
I'm guessing patience is the key. She is showing some signs of progress, but they are inconsistent and impossible to track.
In fact, the day after I wrote the previous post/diatribe/recounting-of-unfortunate events, we went to California for Kiddo's cousin's wedding. While in California, we were at a playground with my brother's family when one of the girlie cousins said she had to use the bathroom. Kiddo, rather unexpectedly, proclaimed, "I want to go, too." Yes, Ms. No Potty just volunteered to use a public restroom in a park in a city she's never been to before. I don't even know her anymore.
Then on Saturday she used the toilet in our hotel room three times without argument.
Then tonight we were at the theater (Mimi had rehearsal, I was helping, it's not a "school night" so we let her come along) and I was instructed to wait in the hallway outside Mimi's office while Kiddo changed her own diaper. Yep. She was wet, got a diaper out of her bag, went into Mimi's office and changed her own diaper. I just had to be there so she could hand me the dirty one after she took it off. It's what I do.
So ... I give up. Sort of. I just don't know what approach to take anymore so I guess I'll try no approach and be pleasantly surprised when Madame Stubborn Butt just starts using the toilet.
Next time, I promise to talk about something besides the toilet. Unless she cracks the code, then you will have to sit through that in excruciating detail. Lucky.
Anyway, did I mention we went to a wedding? We did. It was swell. There's probably an accounting of that coming up. They had a photo booth at the reception. Here is Kiddo in that photo booth with two of her sweetie-pie cousins.
We tried stickers. That lasted about a day.
Me: You want a sticker?
She: (pause) Nah.
Me: (expletive)
We did tattoos for a while. That went pretty well for a bit. She was even starting to look like a biker, but her interest in pretend ink is on the wane.
We bought underpants. Then we bought some more. And then we tried more. We now have 21 pairs of Minnie Mouse/Hello Kitty/Tinkerbell chones that are in a box in the office. She likes to sort them but has no interest in wearing them. We did get her to wear them one day but after she peed on the floor twice, we backed off.
I'm guessing patience is the key. She is showing some signs of progress, but they are inconsistent and impossible to track.
In fact, the day after I wrote the previous post/diatribe/recounting-of-unfortunate events, we went to California for Kiddo's cousin's wedding. While in California, we were at a playground with my brother's family when one of the girlie cousins said she had to use the bathroom. Kiddo, rather unexpectedly, proclaimed, "I want to go, too." Yes, Ms. No Potty just volunteered to use a public restroom in a park in a city she's never been to before. I don't even know her anymore.
Then on Saturday she used the toilet in our hotel room three times without argument.
Then tonight we were at the theater (Mimi had rehearsal, I was helping, it's not a "school night" so we let her come along) and I was instructed to wait in the hallway outside Mimi's office while Kiddo changed her own diaper. Yep. She was wet, got a diaper out of her bag, went into Mimi's office and changed her own diaper. I just had to be there so she could hand me the dirty one after she took it off. It's what I do.
So ... I give up. Sort of. I just don't know what approach to take anymore so I guess I'll try no approach and be pleasantly surprised when Madame Stubborn Butt just starts using the toilet.
Next time, I promise to talk about something besides the toilet. Unless she cracks the code, then you will have to sit through that in excruciating detail. Lucky.
Anyway, did I mention we went to a wedding? We did. It was swell. There's probably an accounting of that coming up. They had a photo booth at the reception. Here is Kiddo in that photo booth with two of her sweetie-pie cousins.

Comments
Its been years since I've seen or even spoken to y'all (I live in the south now so the y'all is obligatory)but the best Christmas gift I have received is when you gave your blog address in your x-mas card. Its the gift that keeps giving. I'm kind of obsessed and addicted now...is there a blog readers anonymous group. I love the tales of your girl. You are hysterical.
love,
Catherine
1. we invited his best pal over, who was using the potty, every day we could. When the friend used the potty, so did Ben. It's early peer pressure, but it helped.
2. the most effective appraoch for us - one of us hid in the shower and when kiddo would pass the bathroom door, said hider would speak in a funny voice and pretend to be the potty calling out. It involved some pretty high drama, such as crying over not being used, begging kiddo to give a whirl, etc. The intrigue heightened and FINALLY we had success!
That's all I've got. Good luck!
~Heather
Throw away ALL (lest ye parents relapse) the diapers. Put her in underpants. Optional: Line the entire house in newspaper or some other absorbant material. Survive a few days. As a three year old in my house once said: "Three year olds don't wear diapers!" to which I responded: "Yeah, prove it!!" He (she? can't remember) did!!.
Good luck.
Judy
PS Bride and groom?? Where? Those girls were the stars of the weekend!
I have to agree with Judy. Just throw out all diapers and don't look back! Stick her in panties and keep changing them. Big girl. Big pants. NO MORE DIAPERS.
It will work!
xoxoxoxoxo
love you
gibs
Also, those photo booth pics look like a Benneton ad. Seriously. So. Damn. Cute.