Skip to main content

let me just say this

Oh, hello. I didn't see you there.


It's been at least 10 days since we talked about poop, so let's begin there, shall we? Yes, let's shall. Once upon a time somebody seemed to have the whole toilet training thing pinned down. Our cajoling and bribing had started to pay dividends and we saw fit to boast of our good fortune in a public forum. For two people who've studied a lot of theater history, you'd think we'd remember the definition of "hubris."

It seems someone is no longer so interested in "stocking the pond" as my Uncle Don likes to say. So we are back into pull-up diapers for naps and bedtime, and stomach cramps and refusal-to-go the rest of the time. Le sigh. We are now trying the "ignore it and it will correct itself" approach which we are sure will work with no possible repercussions. (Please, let us just have this.)

Otherwise, Kiddo continues on the path to weirdness. We couldn't be more pleased. She's been watching a bit of Sesame Street lately, and while she is showing an increased interest in (and grasp of) letters and numbers, sometimes she just likes to re-enact stuff that Bert and Ernie did.

When your dog sled is one-dog short, a tiny elephant is a worthy substitute.

Did I mention we took her to the circus? We did. That's where the toy elephant in the above photo came from. She'd been watching Dumbo a lot and casually mentioned an interest in seeing a circus. Days later, Mimi noticed that the circus was actually in town (and by "in town" I mean, "close enough"). So we put aside our vague misgivings about the treatment of circus animals and did what any overindulgent parent would do. We bought great seats to the damn circus! If you can't get to a circus yourself, we recommend sitting in a closet with five televisions -- all showing something different and going full-blast. Do that for 2-1/2 hours while staring at the ceiling. It's the next best thing to being there.

As Kiddo grows increasingly verbal, she grows increasingly profound. Today as Mimi was taking out the food waste and the bag from the suddenly-important-again diaper pail, Kiddo uttered, "I smell like your butt." That has become her standard line whenever she smells something unpleasant. We are working on getting her to whisper it.

And as if to prove she is at least half my daughter, when asked what she wanted to do one day, she said, "Stay home and do nuffing." THAT'S MY GIRL!

Explaining where babies come from.

We've been "reading" a lot of comic books lately. I'm enjoying introducing her to the wonders of Nancy & Sluggo, Little Lulu & Tubby, and a raft of superhero comics. She knows who the "big three" are (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) and can even pick out the Flash and Power Girl. She even knows who Spider-Man is, though Dadoo is really more of a DC guy. Later I will introduce her to the esoteric world of "Amethyst: Princess of Gem World."

Still there? Wow. You survived my nerdy tangent.

Apparently, just today Kiddo noticed a Wonder Woman action figure, turned to Mimi and said, "Look, it's Wonder Woman. She lives in a book." And in my heart.

One need not be able to read to appreciate the genius that is John Stanley.
(Sorry, I'm doing it again.)


Okay, gotta run. There's a train coming. More soon!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am chuckling aloud!!
That girl is funny!
xo
gibs
ric said…
thank you for explaining who the "big three" are. I wouldn't have known otherwise. And, here here for doing nuffin. One of my favorite pastimes.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...