Skip to main content

she kisses her mother with that mouth

In a surprising development, Kiddo finally gave a stuffed animal a name. It's surprising because when previously asked for an animal's name she would say, "His name is just nuffing." But now a stuffed horse that used to be named Judy, in keeping with our tradition of naming things after the people who gave them to us (Hi Judes!), is now named "Queen of Hearts." I mentioned to her that the horse was named "Judy" and she said, "No, it's not. His name is Queen of Hearts." (Yes, we are still figuring out pronouns.


Anyway, It's a fine name, especially for a horse. Although on Monday when I picked her up from daycare, she told me the horse's name was "Queen of Pleh." That might have been a Monday afternoon thing, because we've gone back to Queen of Hearts.


I should add that she also discovered a tiny plastic horse and when I asked, "What's that horse's name?" she replied, "His name is Queen of Hearts, too." So this may be the start of a thing.


Also on Monday, when trying to get her in the car, she climbed into the back seat, then hopped over into the driver's seat and pretended she was driving. She was very thorough in her enactment.

"Hey, babe! We'll be back to pick you up later."


Then when I put her in her carseat she hit me. I told her that hitting was not okay so she said, "I was petting you faster."


Nice try, kid.


Later that same evening, we were watching "Curious George" and the character Bill came on. Kiddo proclaimed, "Look, Daddy! It's Bill!" I, who was only half paying attention said, "Oh, yeah? Hi, Bill." Kiddo responded, derisively (seriously, she's three and she can already do derisive), "He can't hear you, Daddy."


In a less-derisive moment. Do not be fooled, gentle reader.

Comments

Uncle DT said…
For Christmas I will get her a Mr. Microphone.
KT said…
Did you consider that perhaps she is not confused about pronouns but just knows something about her stuffed horse that you don't?
smatano said…
DT, thank you. I knew I could count on you.

KT (what is happening to my siblings' names?), no I had not. Henceforth, however, I won't be able not to. She does spend more time with it than I do, so ...
Anonymous said…
GBZ says:
Yuki gives me the giggles!!!
xo
Unknown said…
sword of omens, give me cute beyond cute!

in other news: i believe it was "hey, good lookin'..." etc.

go yuki!
smatano said…
Charra, you are, of course, correct on the SeƱor Microphone reference. I bow to your greater authority.
A.J. said…
Isn't Queen of Pleh a really dull scifi series? Or maybe an exciting one waiting to be written. And, I think the "petting you faster" should go into boxing announcer vernacular. That would set the fight world straight.
smatano said…
Who knew my daughter was a fan of the sweet science?

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...