So, as is our evening ritual, Yuki and I were reading The Runaway Bunny before bedtime on Friday night. We came to the part where the little bunny says he will join a circus and fly away on a flying trapeze, only to have his mother counter that she will become a tightrope walker and walk across the air to him and when I turned to the color pages of the circus scene I exclaimed "TA-DA!" and Yuki piped up, "ta-da!" Not sure if that qualifies as her first word but it was certainly the first time she mimicked me in such an obvious manner (and, yes, I imagine "mocking me" won't be far behind). Granted I was playing to her strengths -- she's a whiz with "da" and "ta" and "ba" and "ma." Sometimes we even like to pretend she's saying "Dada" or "Mama" when really it's more like "dadadadada" or "mmmmumumumumum." Anyway, it was kind of cool and Mimi and I spent the next three days shouting "TA-DA!" at her only to be greeted with blank stares. Perhaps "mocking me" has already arrived.
And speaking of monkeys, we've been enjoying a good run of Planet of the Apes movies recently, though not really in order. We started with Escape from the Planet of the Apes which should be subtitled "An Ape Shall Die ... and possibly also another one ... but not the one you think ... and there's a shopping montage ... and Cornelius wears a suit." It opens with a great shot of three astronauts climbing out of a capsule on a California beach and when they take their helmets off -- they're apes! Then it all goes to hell from there. Sal Mineo played "Dr. Milo" and he dies in the early going which makes him the luckiest of the three actors in ape suits. Anyway, Yuki actually fell asleep in my lap during this one which is something she doesn't normally do and it was rather adorable (and maybe a commentary on how bad the movie was).
Later we watched the original Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston and his enormous teeth (I think he has 40 of them and they are all the exact same size). I love this movie and Yuki actually stayed awake through it, though she was mostly busy circumnavigating the coffee table which is one of her new favorite things to do. Anyway, that final shot still gives me goosebumps even though I know it's coming and even though "Taylor" is kind of an asshole which is probably why Heston got the part, because it didn't seem like a stretch for him at all. And he was acting the hell out of the part even though he spent most of the movie in a furry loincloth.
Finally we got to Beneath the Planet of the Apes. It was a so-so movie which had less to do with apes and more to do with the subterranean telepathic mutants who worshipped an atom bomb (which managed to be not as cool as you'd think). I guess it was supposed to be an allegory ... or something. Yuki spent most of this one trying to eat a magazine or menacing the dog.
Trixie appears conflicted about Yuki. On the one hand Yuki drops food everywhere which, if I'm not mistaken, is one of the promises of dog heaven, but on the other hand you never know when you're going to get a finger in the eye. I think Trixie likes food more than she hates being poked in the face.
We've been doing some other stuff, too, including playing in the yard, hanging around Green Lake, and Yuki visiting Dadoo at work which was a nice ray of sunshine, but I've gassed on long enough already. Here's an interesting photo sequence to thank you for reading (or at least scrolling) this far down the page.
I call it "She Didn't Think It Through."



Later.
And speaking of monkeys, we've been enjoying a good run of Planet of the Apes movies recently, though not really in order. We started with Escape from the Planet of the Apes which should be subtitled "An Ape Shall Die ... and possibly also another one ... but not the one you think ... and there's a shopping montage ... and Cornelius wears a suit." It opens with a great shot of three astronauts climbing out of a capsule on a California beach and when they take their helmets off -- they're apes! Then it all goes to hell from there. Sal Mineo played "Dr. Milo" and he dies in the early going which makes him the luckiest of the three actors in ape suits. Anyway, Yuki actually fell asleep in my lap during this one which is something she doesn't normally do and it was rather adorable (and maybe a commentary on how bad the movie was).
Later we watched the original Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston and his enormous teeth (I think he has 40 of them and they are all the exact same size). I love this movie and Yuki actually stayed awake through it, though she was mostly busy circumnavigating the coffee table which is one of her new favorite things to do. Anyway, that final shot still gives me goosebumps even though I know it's coming and even though "Taylor" is kind of an asshole which is probably why Heston got the part, because it didn't seem like a stretch for him at all. And he was acting the hell out of the part even though he spent most of the movie in a furry loincloth.
Finally we got to Beneath the Planet of the Apes. It was a so-so movie which had less to do with apes and more to do with the subterranean telepathic mutants who worshipped an atom bomb (which managed to be not as cool as you'd think). I guess it was supposed to be an allegory ... or something. Yuki spent most of this one trying to eat a magazine or menacing the dog.
Trixie appears conflicted about Yuki. On the one hand Yuki drops food everywhere which, if I'm not mistaken, is one of the promises of dog heaven, but on the other hand you never know when you're going to get a finger in the eye. I think Trixie likes food more than she hates being poked in the face.
We've been doing some other stuff, too, including playing in the yard, hanging around Green Lake, and Yuki visiting Dadoo at work which was a nice ray of sunshine, but I've gassed on long enough already. Here's an interesting photo sequence to thank you for reading (or at least scrolling) this far down the page.
I call it "She Didn't Think It Through."



Later.





Comments