Skip to main content

what we love this week ... ish

1. Chanta!

Santa comes out every year on the night of Thanksgiving and returns to his secret home in a box in the garage on New Year's Day. Yuki became quite fond of "Chanta" and would insist on him being plugged in first thing every morning and unplugged right before her bedtime. Mimi and I put Christmas stuff away on New Year's Eve this year but I thought I'd leave Chanta out until the next day so Yuki wouldn't be surprised by his sudden disappearance. Well, It's January 6 and he's still out. I tried to get Yuki to say bye-bye to him and she actually started to panic. Check back in June and see if he's still around.

2. Band-Aids (yes, yes, I know it's a trademark but I can't call them "adhesive bandages" without feeling like a complete tool)


Yuki has long enjoyed playing with the Band-Aid boxes but only recently discovered what happens if you unwrap one. The Band-Aid pictured ended up being a little painful to remove (although the face she made was kind of cute) so we now limit her to the very smallest Hello Kitty Band-Aids in the Hello Kitty Band-Aid box.

3. DEE TEE!

That's Uncle Daniel. My brother. Yuki's Godfather. He blew through town on my birthday this year and Yuki took a shine to him immediately. It was sweet to watch. We worked on a few nicknames over the couple of days he was here but couldn't find a good one, mostly because Yuki couldn't say them. Turns out his nickname from his days at UW was "DT" (short for Daniel Terence). We tried that and Yuki figured it out right away. So, there you go Daniel. You are now "Dee Tee."

4. かた!(KATA!)

Yuki's cousins (and aunt and uncle) in Tokyo sent an enormous box of books for Christmas. Seriously, it weighed more than she does. I don't want to know what they paid for shipping. In the enormous box of books was the fella she is holding in the picture above. Yuki bypassed all the books and went right for it. It was love at first sight. Kata is now a proud member of the Triumvirate (which might now be a quintet because I forgot her other new friend, Chip). We named her Kata ("her" because she's pink) which is an abbreviation of Mimi's last name. Not pictured is the smaller stuffed snake Kata is holding. We named him "Hebi-san" which translates as "Mr. Snake." Aren't we the clever ones?

5. Poor Man's Ball Pit

I think the picture tells you everything you need to know.

BONUS thing we love: Prep Sportswear
Why? Because they just gave Dadoo a job. Oh, and because we have the same initials. Anyway, I am now their entire editorial department. Go me. [begin plug]If you need to buy athletic apparel for your (or anyone else's) high school team, this is the place.[end plug]

Comments

Lisa Tucker said…
YAAAAAAAAAAAY for employment! I had a good feeling and I'm glad I was right.

YAAAAAAY!!!

Oh, by the way...can you lend me 500 bucks?
Lisa Tucker said…
PS Go onto your new employer's website. Click on "Massachusetts" under locations and then on "Arlington". THEY GOT YOU YOUR OWN JERSEY ALREADY! WOW!!!
Anonymous said…
I love bandaids too. And hooray for PS my new favorite athletic apparel company! Go Philip
xo
gibs
Congratulations!! What great news! And Elena wonders if she can borrow Yuki's box of peanuts sometime soon? truly a magnificent toy.
Anonymous said…
on the chanta deal - yeah miles got really attached to "Frosty" and Santa this year too and I have to keep reassuring him that Santa will be back - today I got asked if Miles can visit him...oh geez.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...