Some people know this going in. Some people realize this early on. And then, some other people think—“duh, of course,” but ACTUALLY don’t get it until much later.
Please put down the phone. I have not been crate training my child, or having her pee and poop outside—though both of those thoughts have passed through my brain. Okay, just kidding, you don’t have to call. What I am referring to is “the routine.”
When you get a dog, you go through a period of time where you get to know each other, establish boundaries, teach the dog some tricks, then set the routine. This period depends on the age of the dog you get. We had a dog that came to us at age 3 so this time period was pretty short. Once the routine is set, it stays the same. Pretty much for the rest of the dog’s life. They sit when you tell them, you go for a walk at the same time, they poop at the same spot, they eat what you give them, etc, etc.
When you have a baby, the routine changes rapidly during the first year—like, every week or two. So you get trained to stay nimble. Then they hit one, and they settle into the routine for longer periods so then your brain starts to think that this is the same situation as the dog. But you are wrong (and by “you” I mean “me"). As your child approaches two, she knows to question things. And she now can move at a speed and range she only dreamed of during the first year of her life. So they can get in to trouble that is bigger and scarier, FAST.
The answer is, "No."
The question is, "Is it a good idea to give my child a pen for the car ride home?"
My brain was stuck at one level. Then recently, it woke up and realized that Yuki can repeat most anything we say, she is remembering lyrics to songs, she will not always sit when we ask her to, and she can reach the kitchen counter. Then it hit me that we will soon converse like people, she will grow taller, have preferences in everything she does, and opinions in what we do.
Then it hit me that as she grows to do that, I too will…progress…age…and not be the same. I mean, I’ve always aged as everyone does, but nothing makes you realize that more than having a kid and watch her grow at a scary speed.
And some days you just get weird snow storms when the sun is out and you go play in it and don't worry about other stuff.
I feel I often state the obvious on this blog, but these obvious thoughts hit me at a totally different level as a parent. It’s not like I’ve not had this experience before. As I am a teacher of sort, I have watched kids grow up. In fact, two kids that I’ve known since I’ve arrived at YTN is graduating from high school in June, and it’s freaking me out and I look at their parents and wonder why they aren’t sobbing constantly. Two of the boys I used to nanny are now both in college and my Facebook friends. I know that it happens. Kids grow up. You get old. And yet, when YOUR kid is doing that, it freaks you out even more. I suppose this is compounded by the fact that our dog, the routine provider of 8 years, got old and died too.
I wonder if this is what mid-life crisis feels like. I am definitely trying to get comfortable saying “I’m in my 40s” and kind of panicking inside. Like, I’m not old enough to be 40 but I’m too old to have a 2-year-old. It is totally hard to be me.
Meanwhile, Yuki grows. She is definitely letting us know she is almost two.
Please put down the phone. I have not been crate training my child, or having her pee and poop outside—though both of those thoughts have passed through my brain. Okay, just kidding, you don’t have to call. What I am referring to is “the routine.”
When you get a dog, you go through a period of time where you get to know each other, establish boundaries, teach the dog some tricks, then set the routine. This period depends on the age of the dog you get. We had a dog that came to us at age 3 so this time period was pretty short. Once the routine is set, it stays the same. Pretty much for the rest of the dog’s life. They sit when you tell them, you go for a walk at the same time, they poop at the same spot, they eat what you give them, etc, etc.
When you have a baby, the routine changes rapidly during the first year—like, every week or two. So you get trained to stay nimble. Then they hit one, and they settle into the routine for longer periods so then your brain starts to think that this is the same situation as the dog. But you are wrong (and by “you” I mean “me"). As your child approaches two, she knows to question things. And she now can move at a speed and range she only dreamed of during the first year of her life. So they can get in to trouble that is bigger and scarier, FAST.
The answer is, "No."The question is, "Is it a good idea to give my child a pen for the car ride home?"
My brain was stuck at one level. Then recently, it woke up and realized that Yuki can repeat most anything we say, she is remembering lyrics to songs, she will not always sit when we ask her to, and she can reach the kitchen counter. Then it hit me that we will soon converse like people, she will grow taller, have preferences in everything she does, and opinions in what we do.
Then it hit me that as she grows to do that, I too will…progress…age…and not be the same. I mean, I’ve always aged as everyone does, but nothing makes you realize that more than having a kid and watch her grow at a scary speed.
And some days you just get weird snow storms when the sun is out and you go play in it and don't worry about other stuff.I feel I often state the obvious on this blog, but these obvious thoughts hit me at a totally different level as a parent. It’s not like I’ve not had this experience before. As I am a teacher of sort, I have watched kids grow up. In fact, two kids that I’ve known since I’ve arrived at YTN is graduating from high school in June, and it’s freaking me out and I look at their parents and wonder why they aren’t sobbing constantly. Two of the boys I used to nanny are now both in college and my Facebook friends. I know that it happens. Kids grow up. You get old. And yet, when YOUR kid is doing that, it freaks you out even more. I suppose this is compounded by the fact that our dog, the routine provider of 8 years, got old and died too.
I wonder if this is what mid-life crisis feels like. I am definitely trying to get comfortable saying “I’m in my 40s” and kind of panicking inside. Like, I’m not old enough to be 40 but I’m too old to have a 2-year-old. It is totally hard to be me.
Meanwhile, Yuki grows. She is definitely letting us know she is almost two.



Comments
Kiely
xo
gibs