Skip to main content

occasional melancholy

Sometimes the kid just makes me want to scream. I know she's testing boundaries and I know she's fast approaching the "Terrible Threes" (which I'm told are far worse than the unjustly famous "Terrible Twos") but sometimes when I try to talk to her, it's like we aren't even the same species.

Invariably, just when I'm about to lose my temper, she will do something impossibly cute and I will hang my head in shame that I could ever get mad it this little bindle of adorableness.

The library program in Baby Jail is quite good.

I don't have any idea what I'm doing. I know this does not make me unique as a father, but it's my blog so I get to whine sometimes.

Career Day: Trailer Park Manager

My strategy lately is to just be next to her all the time. If she's playing or reading or drawing or doing a puzzle or taking 90 minutes to eat dinner or sitting on the potty or watching a DVD, I'm just going to be there. Unless of course Mama is right there, then I will be nearby and probably taking pictures.

She actually ate pumpkin guts, straight out of the pumpkin.
That isn't bad, right?


Sometimes I join her in what she's doing and sometimes I just observe. And sometimes I'm able to really enjoy the moment, but sometimes I look at her and think, "Hello, stranger."

"Do you like my hat?"

I wonder if I would have these thoughts if we had more than one kid. Like maybe if we had two or three or four I wouldn't have time to worry because we'd just be too busy running from meal to event to meal to event to meal to bed. But, sorry Kiddo, you remain the only egg in our basket so you get the full force of my undiluted parenting neurosis. I'll try to keep it to myself, mostly. I promise to encourage you when you need it, and let you figure stuff out on your own whenever I can. And to just be there. Right by you. Y'know, if you ever need anything. Cool?

I'll even go in for the occasional Floor Picnic.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a sweet post. I'm up late and tired but Jackson is up late doing homework. I still like to just sit near him. Course, he's not so cute to watch anymore but still...
xoxo
gibs
Uncle DT said…
And the offer's still good: when she hits the teenage years, she can come live with me and I'll stay by her side (with an eye out for Dirk).
Lisa Tucker said…
Seems to me the whole family is pretty cool, because you can get frustrated and mad with each other and still love the weird kid who eats pumpkin guts and the weird dad who does THE DANCE...(which I still crave)...

LT
xo
Everywhereist said…
Sniffle ... I seem to have something in both my eyes.

Nice post ... assface.
smatano said…
Sorry, Geraldine. I know you hate it when I force you to think of me as human.

Lisa, would you like me to send you a video of "the dance"? I'm sure that would be unpleasant for all involved.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...