Skip to main content

what happens when you keep your word

Before Kiddo was even born, I remember commenting to Mimi that, when she (Kiddo) was old enough, I was going to let her dress herself however she wanted. Well, never let it be said that I'm not a man of my word. She knows where everything is and, with a little bit of help, she can get in and out of just about everything. I also find that she really wants to dress herself, which I now use to my advantage. In the morning when she won't get out of bed I tell her I'm picking out her outfit for the day which usually gets her to roll out of bed and stagger over to her bureau to put back everything I've chosen before making her own selections. Hey, whatever works.

The results are, as you might expect, rather exciting.

We call this "Purse Face." Still impossible to tell if she thought this was funny or just practical. We like to pretend her sense of the absurd is very advanced. (Also note the "Hello Kitty" mittens, despite it being about 65 degrees that day.)

Yabba Dabba Huh? She dug out part of last year's Halloween costume, then asked me to tie this Dalmatian tie around her neck. Look out, "Project Runway, Season 26."

This is her princess dress she likes to wear when she wants to dance. It was a birthday present from pal Nicole. It's actually a "Sharpay" dress from High School Musical, but we aren't ready to open that door just yet.

Not sure where she's going, but she's going to turn a lot of heads when she gets there. Especially in her 600-yen pink galoshes we bought at a Japanese discount store.

On her way to work with Mommy, I think. This is one of those outfits that's really cute when she's 2 or when she's 90. Anywhere in between might be grounds for an intervention.

Now, we realize that we are at least partly to blame, as we do most of the purchasing of clothes, and at least one of us just grabs whatever looks cute without regard to whether or not it makes sense with whatever else she has. But she's hard in the middle of an especially willful phase, so any day we can get her covered and out of the house is a good day. Being beggars, we forego choosing.

Comments

A.J. said…
Those outfits are awesome--streetstyle at its finest. You should start patterning them. Also, nice to see she and I like the same style of socks.
Kris said…
Anna loved all of them--especially the princess and the Yabba Dabba one (her words). She LOVED "the pants" video--she wanted to watch it three times--will probably watch more. :) I am afraid she will want videos of her online or maybe the Anna/Yuki show in a few years?
Lisa Tucker said…
I think she has a future in the fashion industry. I've never seen anyone accessorize so fabulously...
Unknown said…
yes, fabulous darling (to be spoken in your best auntie peter/grandma/occasionally katie voice...full of glamor)
Blythe said…
Do you guy have the Fancy Nancy books? Because I think she might like them...
Everywhereist said…
My mother has a photo of me, somewhere around this age, wearing a white Gilligan-style hat, a green-checked summer dress, a blue puffer vest, and dark red glasses. That was the day she decided to teach me about "matching".

The results were disasterous, she said. If the colors on two items didn't match EXACTLY, I wouldn't wear them. My mother said she made dressing me exponentially harder with that one act.

The point being? Yuki's fashion sense is great. And, weirdly enough, easier than the alternative.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...