6:30 AM - Alarm goes off
6:39 - Fighting the alarm
6: 48 - Drag myself into the shower as I hear "NOOOOO!" from Yuki's room
7:05 - Out of the shower. I manage to put something on my body that resembles a cohesive outfit and catch the weather on the Today show — the silence upstairs indicates Philip has managed to get Yuki dressed and downstairs. I still hear an occasional whine and cry, but at least they are where they are supposed to be at this time.
7:10 - Get downstairs. We play the usual obligatory game of Yuki covering her face to indicate that she is "hiding" and we have the following dialogue:
M: (dead pan) Where did Yuki go?
Ph: I don't know who you are talking about.
M: You know the kid who's been living here.
Ph: I haven't seen her lately.
(Yuki uncovers her face)
ALL: Aaaaahhhhh!!!!
7:11-7:20 - Yuki eats her breakfast while Philip stumbles around the kitchen trying to pack lunch and Yuki's Hello Kitty Thermos of milk for the after pick-up car ride. I stumble around Philip to get some vitamins, allergy meds, and juice in my system and try to figure out if I want to make coffee now or a bit later for it to be the optimal temperature when in travel mug (I do this EVERY MORNING and can't figure out the timing yet).
7:20 - Philip gets out the door. Yuki waves, blows kisses, etc. I stand at the sink, still trying to figure out the coffee thing.
7:20-8:00 - One or more of the following will happen:
* Yuki asks for more oatmeal OR finishes and doesn't ask for more.
* Yuki watches "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" OR takes too long to eat breakfast and I talk her into watching "Shaun the Sheep" which is considerably shorter OR plays her new Nintendo DS Preschool game ("Smart Girl's Playhouse").
* I make coffee OR I make coffee with Yuki after Yuki insists she wants to help.
* I pack my lunch.
* I rack my brain for something to write in Yuki's school notebook to her teacher.
* I walk away and empty (or load) the dishwasher.
* I sit down again, this time with my breakfast and write something about what Yuki is into, after checking the last two weeks' entries to make sure it isn't the same.
* I eat my cereal as Yuki is wrapping up her TV watching/game playing.
* Yuki asks to eat every other bite of my cereal, which I over-poured so that I get the right amount after Yuki takes her cut.
8:00-8:10 - I negotiate with Yuki about going upstairs to brush teeth. There is some talk about bringing some paper and crayons upstairs to make it possible.
8:10-8:20 - I brush my teeth, slap on some make up, and go to the bathroom while Yuki draws.
8:20-8:25 - I brush Yuki's teeth, get her socks, and coax her downstairs.
8:25-8:30 - I negotiate/threaten which shoes and jacket Yuki will wear to school.
8:30-8:35 - I go for a "panic pee" while Yuki wanders around the house with her jacket, shoes, and hat on, getting engaged in some sort of play.
8:35-8:40 - I grab everything Yuki has in her hands, shove it all in her bag and carry all three of my bags and commuter mug full of precious coffee.
8:40-8:40:10 - I turn the alarm on and drag Yuki out the door as she turns around to grab just one more thing.
8:40-8:42 - Yuki asks to go to the side of the house to pick a flower. I, with my three bags and coffee, get her there and yank a flower off a tree.
8:42-8:43 - Yuki gets into the garage and runs to Philip's scooter and sits on the foot rest while I open the car doors, put the coffee mug into the cup holder, and put the bags into the back seat.
8:43-8:45 - I get Yuki in the car, buckle her in and get her the pad and the crayons.
8:45 - We have lift off!
8:45-9:10 - I fight traffic while sipping coffee and talking to Yuki about school. Yuki cries about the crayon she dropped. I convince her that I can't turn around and get the crayon while I drive. Yuki, having had the same conversation the day before, gets over it.
9:10-9:15 - I arrive at Yuki's preschool. Yuki asks me to draw a big heart and color it in so she can carry it to school. We hold hands and walk in. I wash Yuki's hands, drop off the note book, pass Yuki off to her teacher, sign her in, and walk out.
9:15-9:17 - I walk to my car and stop briefly to watch Yuki frolic with her school pals in the playground.
9:17 - I get into my car. Deep sigh. I switch the ipod from Yuki playlist to mine. And I am off to work.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
6:39 - Fighting the alarm
6: 48 - Drag myself into the shower as I hear "NOOOOO!" from Yuki's room
7:05 - Out of the shower. I manage to put something on my body that resembles a cohesive outfit and catch the weather on the Today show — the silence upstairs indicates Philip has managed to get Yuki dressed and downstairs. I still hear an occasional whine and cry, but at least they are where they are supposed to be at this time.
7:10 - Get downstairs. We play the usual obligatory game of Yuki covering her face to indicate that she is "hiding" and we have the following dialogue:
M: (dead pan) Where did Yuki go?
Ph: I don't know who you are talking about.
M: You know the kid who's been living here.
Ph: I haven't seen her lately.
(Yuki uncovers her face)
ALL: Aaaaahhhhh!!!!
7:11-7:20 - Yuki eats her breakfast while Philip stumbles around the kitchen trying to pack lunch and Yuki's Hello Kitty Thermos of milk for the after pick-up car ride. I stumble around Philip to get some vitamins, allergy meds, and juice in my system and try to figure out if I want to make coffee now or a bit later for it to be the optimal temperature when in travel mug (I do this EVERY MORNING and can't figure out the timing yet).
7:20 - Philip gets out the door. Yuki waves, blows kisses, etc. I stand at the sink, still trying to figure out the coffee thing.
7:20-8:00 - One or more of the following will happen:
* Yuki asks for more oatmeal OR finishes and doesn't ask for more.
* Yuki watches "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" OR takes too long to eat breakfast and I talk her into watching "Shaun the Sheep" which is considerably shorter OR plays her new Nintendo DS Preschool game ("Smart Girl's Playhouse").
* I make coffee OR I make coffee with Yuki after Yuki insists she wants to help.
* I pack my lunch.
* I rack my brain for something to write in Yuki's school notebook to her teacher.
* I walk away and empty (or load) the dishwasher.
* I sit down again, this time with my breakfast and write something about what Yuki is into, after checking the last two weeks' entries to make sure it isn't the same.
* I eat my cereal as Yuki is wrapping up her TV watching/game playing.
* Yuki asks to eat every other bite of my cereal, which I over-poured so that I get the right amount after Yuki takes her cut.
8:00-8:10 - I negotiate with Yuki about going upstairs to brush teeth. There is some talk about bringing some paper and crayons upstairs to make it possible.
8:10-8:20 - I brush my teeth, slap on some make up, and go to the bathroom while Yuki draws.
8:20-8:25 - I brush Yuki's teeth, get her socks, and coax her downstairs.
8:25-8:30 - I negotiate/threaten which shoes and jacket Yuki will wear to school.
8:30-8:35 - I go for a "panic pee" while Yuki wanders around the house with her jacket, shoes, and hat on, getting engaged in some sort of play.
8:35-8:40 - I grab everything Yuki has in her hands, shove it all in her bag and carry all three of my bags and commuter mug full of precious coffee.
8:40-8:40:10 - I turn the alarm on and drag Yuki out the door as she turns around to grab just one more thing.
8:40-8:42 - Yuki asks to go to the side of the house to pick a flower. I, with my three bags and coffee, get her there and yank a flower off a tree.
8:42-8:43 - Yuki gets into the garage and runs to Philip's scooter and sits on the foot rest while I open the car doors, put the coffee mug into the cup holder, and put the bags into the back seat.
8:43-8:45 - I get Yuki in the car, buckle her in and get her the pad and the crayons.
8:45 - We have lift off!
8:45-9:10 - I fight traffic while sipping coffee and talking to Yuki about school. Yuki cries about the crayon she dropped. I convince her that I can't turn around and get the crayon while I drive. Yuki, having had the same conversation the day before, gets over it.
9:10-9:15 - I arrive at Yuki's preschool. Yuki asks me to draw a big heart and color it in so she can carry it to school. We hold hands and walk in. I wash Yuki's hands, drop off the note book, pass Yuki off to her teacher, sign her in, and walk out.
9:15-9:17 - I walk to my car and stop briefly to watch Yuki frolic with her school pals in the playground.
9:17 - I get into my car. Deep sigh. I switch the ipod from Yuki playlist to mine. And I am off to work.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Comments
But how do you convice her that pulling over to pick up the crayon is not a option? I still have to fight that one!
Judy
I'm making a voo-doo doll of you based on that alone. Grrr ... :)