So, in addition to Kiddo's increasing admonitions to "Be happy!" she has a regular catalog of doozies that she likes to drop on us. Not all are commands for Mama and Dadoo to improve their behavior, though there are a lot of those. To wit:
"STOP IT SING!" This is a favorite. She'll uncork this one any time Mimi or I sing, dance, hum, snap our fingers, drum our fingers on a table, sigh aloud, look askance, think impure thoughts ... Seriously, though, for some reason she hates when we sing. It's kind of hilarious. Our only recourse when told to "STOP IT SING!" is to sing more. Mimi says that since Kiddo won't have siblings, it's down to us to give her the sibling experience.
"Do you want a Band-Aid?" This can really be anything starting with "Do you want ..." though lately she is in what our friend Lauren calls a "nuclear" Band-Aid phase. I finally got wise to the impossibly persistent "Do you want ...?" line of questioning after a conversation that went like this:
Kid: Do you want a Band-Aid?
Me: No, thank you. I don't need one.
Kid: Do you want a Band-Aid?
Me: No, that's okay.
Kid: Do you want a Band-Aid?
Me: I don't think I need one, sweetie.
Mimi: The answer to her question is, "Yes."
Me: Oh.
Kid: Do you want a Band-Aid?
Me: Yes, please.
The End.
"I can get you this one." Which actually means, "Can you get me that one?" Her syntax is a little cock-a-hoop at the moment. At first I thought she was applying Japanese syntax to English, but apparently her Japanese is plenty entertaining itself. Mimi has a list of her Japanese phrases and I look forward to that post that only two of you will be able to read.
"You burped in your butt." Goooooood night, everybody!
"STOP IT SING!" This is a favorite. She'll uncork this one any time Mimi or I sing, dance, hum, snap our fingers, drum our fingers on a table, sigh aloud, look askance, think impure thoughts ... Seriously, though, for some reason she hates when we sing. It's kind of hilarious. Our only recourse when told to "STOP IT SING!" is to sing more. Mimi says that since Kiddo won't have siblings, it's down to us to give her the sibling experience.
"Do you want a Band-Aid?" This can really be anything starting with "Do you want ..." though lately she is in what our friend Lauren calls a "nuclear" Band-Aid phase. I finally got wise to the impossibly persistent "Do you want ...?" line of questioning after a conversation that went like this:
Kid: Do you want a Band-Aid?
Me: No, thank you. I don't need one.
Kid: Do you want a Band-Aid?
Me: No, that's okay.
Kid: Do you want a Band-Aid?
Me: I don't think I need one, sweetie.
Mimi: The answer to her question is, "Yes."
Me: Oh.
Kid: Do you want a Band-Aid?
Me: Yes, please.
The End.
"I can get you this one." Which actually means, "Can you get me that one?" Her syntax is a little cock-a-hoop at the moment. At first I thought she was applying Japanese syntax to English, but apparently her Japanese is plenty entertaining itself. Mimi has a list of her Japanese phrases and I look forward to that post that only two of you will be able to read.
"You burped in your butt." Goooooood night, everybody!
Comments
xoxo
gibs
And, I hope she starts using "cock-a-hoop" soon. That will be amazing.
Have fun with the Nuclear Band Aid phase, I recommend buying cheap ones and just putting them in her room where she can reach them, and keep a trash can near by too.