Skip to main content

a momentary loss of cool

While we do have a post or two left to go on our recent Japan visit, I just wanted to acknowledge something.

Kiddo has been at her daycare/preschool for about three years now. There are four classes in the school, divided by age. Starting from the littlest of the littles, the classes go Risu (Squirrel), Usagi (Rabbit), Panda (Panda), Zo (Elephant). Kiddo is in Panda. Well... NOT ANYMORE!

In our post-vacation, incredibly jet-lagged state, Mimi and I didn't notice it or talk about it or whatever. We knew the Zo class graduation is this Saturday (because we are skipping it to go to gym class), but it honestly didn't occur to me that she would be moving up a grade until I went to pick her up today.

There was a big stack of her art in her cubby and on top was a picture of her that had hung on the wall in her classroom. It didn't even occur to me then. It didn't occur to me until we were walking out of her classroom and I looked up and noticed her picture (the one I had just seen in her cubby) was not on the wall anymore. It actually knocked the wind out of me. For a couple of seconds my brain couldn't process the information and I thought I might need to sit down with my head between my knees.

It passed and we're all okay, but HOLY HECK! I'm not sure if I'm more troubled by the passage of time that I wasn't paying attention to or the fact that we now have to get REALLY serious about what she's going to do for real school next year.

I trust my siblings who have children in college or children out of college or children who are married or children who are married and also now have their own children will be sympathetic to my feelings of panicky astonishment (or astonished panic) and will not razz me too much about freaking out because my four-year-old just keeps getting older.

I know I can't slow her down (nor do really want to) but I guess I'll just have to start paying better attention.

Comments

KT said…
Gosh, I know what you mean! Mike just had another birthday in May. It goes too fast.

You two kids are doing great with your kid. Don't worry. Enjoy.

Love,
KT
Anonymous said…
Sometimes one night seems like three days and so then two nights seem like a week and an hour temper tantrum seems like a day, but a great day seems like only an hour and a year can go by in a minute. What is is about kids that really screws up the space/time continuum?

Enjoy this minute, because, depending on what you are doing, it can go by in a second, or an hour, but it surely won't seem like a minute.

Love, the mother of a 29 11/12 year old! Where did the time go?
Anonymous said…
I was thinking the same thing when Jackson started Kindergarten last year! - oh...wait...

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...