Skip to main content

how am I supposed to answer that?

We make every effort to be honest with our kid. Especially when she asks serious questions. It's a delicate balancing act, finding ways to explain things in a manner that she'll understand but that won't be intimidating. So far it's worked out well enough. Though a few conversations about reproductive organs have led her to prance around the house chanting "Penis, penis, penis, penis!"


Lately, though, she has been asking a lot of pretty deep questions. I will now turn it over to Mimi for a retelling of her recent interrogations.


We have many friends who recently had babies or are about to have babies. Yuki has yet to ask "Why don't I have any siblings?" or "Why don't you have a baby in your tummy?" Thank God, but it has triggered some conversations. The first one was when I mentioned that I saw our friend's baby the other day and she asked, "He is still out?" So I explained that once babies come out, they don't go back in. Then we came across our old videos of when Yuki was a baby and she wanted to watch a bunch, one of which was moments after she came out. We did not prepare her for some of the things she was about to see (nothing graphic, but she was covered in goop and the umbilical cord was in view) so at first she was in shock. But then she had 59 questions about why she was covered in blood, why she was crying, why were there scissors on her belly, etc. We covered the bases and talked about how babies first drink milk from mommies (which triggered 83 more questions) and how they are like a seed at first before they grow. I was not totally prepared to answer any of them well but I did the best I could.


Cut to a few days later over breakfast (at 7:45 am), we had a conversation that went like this:


Yuki: How does babies get in mommies' tummies? In the shower?

Me: No...not in the shower.

Yuki: How? Where do they come from?

Me: Well...they come from their daddies, actually.

Yuki: Daddies? From their eyes?

Me: (spit take) No! Not from their eyes.

Yuki: Their nose? Elbow?

Me: ...from their insides....

Yuki: Insides? Like tummy?

Me: Sort of.


I realized I HAVE to buy some books for her on the subject and communicate the exact conversation to Philip. It's like PR for a political office. We have to develop the united front on this and use the same language.


(Philip here. I've had my own share of this lately. I broke it down to a seed and an egg that come together to make the baby. Kiddo asked, "Was I in the egg?" We're working on it. Okay, back to Mimi.)


An experienced parent once told me that babies are tough at first because they are physically demanding and exhausting, but then once they can start to do a lot of things by themselves, they start to torture you mentally. I understood that vaguely at the time but I was too physically exhausted to process it. I am now there and you know what, she was right.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would like to testify on behalf of the "mental torture" thing. Sure, The Who spent 45 minutes independently playing in the sink today and even wiped up the floor when he was done, but he also made me hate rainbows and wish death on puppies with his constant "why" badgering.

Also,good luck with that baby-making discussion. I almost think we homos have it easier. Science is so much easier to explain than sex.
Blythe said…
The book "It's Not the Stork!" is a cool option. Worth looking into!
Lisa Tucker said…
I can't even leave a real comment. I'm just laughing and laughing. Yup, babies come from their mommies' seeds and their daddies' ELBOWS. Yup.

lt
xo
smatano said…
Robin, ours was pretty... scientific also, but that's almost harder to explain. "When a mommy and a daddy and a fertility specialist..."

Blythe, thanks for the rec.

LT, always happy to make you happy.
Anonymous said…
Heres a good line: "well tell me what YOU think..." Most times they change the topic themselves because what they really want is a conversation. This will buy you some time until they REALLY want to know. There are some gret books out there. Have fun! I have some great stories about this topic from my boys...I'll share with you sometime!
xo
gibs

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...