Skip to main content

surprised it took this long

Well, in terms of "looking for signs that she might be stressed," today we had a doozy.

She just started a dance class at a studio near our house. Today would have been her second session. Her friend, Lyla, is in the class. Her teacher looks like a giraffe.

Anyway, the plan was to go to dance class, have lunch with pals AJ and/or Natalie, then take Kiddo to her first ever comic convention. We'd been talking about it all week.

Here's what happened. Took kid to her dance class...

She wouldn't go inside. I went in with her, helped her get her shoes on, made sure she saw Lyla, and told her I'd be right back and that I'd stand outside the whole time. Nothing doing. It was like that day at school when she wouldn't let go. But worse. I begged. I pleaded. I cajoled. I bargained. I threatened. The teacher came over to see if she could help. Lyla came over to see if she could help. Nope.

I took Kiddo outside so the rest of the class could start. We sat on a bench for a while. I told her that if she goes to dance class then we could go play after. Nope. I told her that if she did NOT go to dance class there would be no playing. No comic convention. No lunch date. No more TV. Little shit called my bluff. We went home.

She screamed and cried the whole way. Fortunately it isn't a long drive. I told her to go upstairs and get changed and don't come out until she was done crying. Yes, I played the "go to your room" card for the first time ever. And somehow it worked.

A bit later she came downstairs and climbed in my lap. She said, "I just didn't want you to leave."

I don't cry easily. That just about did me in.

Kiddo is having some profound separation anxiety right now. I could have handled this morning's freakout better than I did, I think. I'm still kicking myself over it. Anyway, we talked to Mama on Skype twice tonight which helped. And we had our own comic book convention at home. I pulled out all 11 boxes of my comics and found a bunch that would not be inappropriate for a four-year-old.

Now she is asleep and the house is a total mess. I may or may not clean it tonight.

Comments

Nikki Prz said…
I *do* cry easily and that just about did me in.

Hang in there.
Nikki Prz said…
I always forget that for some reason my name's not on there. This is Nikki.
Anonymous said…
I feel for you buddy, you're doing a great job! I had to sit INSIDE the dance studio for about 5 months so Audrey would take class. Then I had to sit RIGHT OUTSIDE the glass door for another 3 months so she could take class. It does get better. And never mind cleaning your house!
xo
schkla

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...