There is a young man at my theatre. He is about 12 and he has been an actor on our stage for about three years. He is a very intelligent and thoughtful fellow who has great parents. His mom is on our board.
About a month ago, a few days after I announced to the board of directors that I was pregnant, his mom was preparing to go out and chatting with him at the same time. And while she was facing her mirror, they were chatting about the theatre and the upcoming shows, etc. Then she felt that this was a natural segue so she said to her son, “You know, Mimi is going to have a baby.” To which the young man said, “Cool. But isn’t she kind of old?” The mom was taken aback by this seemingly blunt comment and said, “Well, no, actually. I was 42 when I had you so not really.” Moments later, the lad said, “They sure waited a long time.” Mom, again, was a bit surprised. What does he care? So she replied, “Well, honey, some people take longer, you know, they were trying for a while and needed some help.” Finally, the young man said, “Yeah, but by the time the kid is my age, she’s gonna be like 90.”
OK so you are now thinking, who is this rude kid? How old does he think I am exactly?
It turns out that this family calls their maternal grandparents “Mimi” and “Papa.” So this young man thought his grandmother was having a baby. The mom didn’t think she needed to say my last name in this conversation because they were just talking about the theatre. And because she was facing her mirror during this conversation, she wasn’t making eye contact with her son, hence the horrible misunderstanding. They were having a parallel conversation for about 10 minutes before they both caught on that something was very wrong. What I found funny was that this young man was trying to roll with it. He didn’t want to judge his beloved grandmother, but couldn’t help asking questions.
“Oh no, honey” the mom said, “That Mimi can’t have babies anymore.” And they laughed and laughed.
PS-Number of people who have touched my stomach: 5 (2 male, 3 female-all people I know and like)
About a month ago, a few days after I announced to the board of directors that I was pregnant, his mom was preparing to go out and chatting with him at the same time. And while she was facing her mirror, they were chatting about the theatre and the upcoming shows, etc. Then she felt that this was a natural segue so she said to her son, “You know, Mimi is going to have a baby.” To which the young man said, “Cool. But isn’t she kind of old?” The mom was taken aback by this seemingly blunt comment and said, “Well, no, actually. I was 42 when I had you so not really.” Moments later, the lad said, “They sure waited a long time.” Mom, again, was a bit surprised. What does he care? So she replied, “Well, honey, some people take longer, you know, they were trying for a while and needed some help.” Finally, the young man said, “Yeah, but by the time the kid is my age, she’s gonna be like 90.”
OK so you are now thinking, who is this rude kid? How old does he think I am exactly?
It turns out that this family calls their maternal grandparents “Mimi” and “Papa.” So this young man thought his grandmother was having a baby. The mom didn’t think she needed to say my last name in this conversation because they were just talking about the theatre. And because she was facing her mirror during this conversation, she wasn’t making eye contact with her son, hence the horrible misunderstanding. They were having a parallel conversation for about 10 minutes before they both caught on that something was very wrong. What I found funny was that this young man was trying to roll with it. He didn’t want to judge his beloved grandmother, but couldn’t help asking questions.
“Oh no, honey” the mom said, “That Mimi can’t have babies anymore.” And they laughed and laughed.
PS-Number of people who have touched my stomach: 5 (2 male, 3 female-all people I know and like)
Comments