Skip to main content

and another thing about Robert Mitchum

My life in three pictures:
Been spending a lot of time on the couch. I mean that in the literal sense, not in the "I'm in therapy" sense. Yuki is currently a very social little thing and when we aren't on the couch for a feeding, we are hanging out on the couch, making faces at each other and singing the “Chubby Happy” song which I wrote but Mimi always has to remind me of the melody because I make up 50 songs a day based on what Yuki is doing at that exact moment (such gems as "Hey, Hey, Poopy Diaper", "Little Miss Booger Face" and "Ding Dang Diddle Diddle Ding Dang Doo (Wop Dop Dingle-Ingle Yip Yap Yoo)". Somehow “Chubby Happy” has been worth keeping. Anyway, lots of couch time means lots of movie time and this week seems to have been "Submarine Week" on the TiVo.

Yuki is already unsure of my taste in movies

The Enemy Below starred Robert Mitchum as the Captain of a Navy Destroyer playing cat-and-mouse with a noble German U-Boat captain (he's soured on war and isn't so hot on Hitler) played by Curt Jurgens. It also featured Theodore Bikel as "Heiny" and David Hedison who was then going by "Al" Hedison for reasons I do not know but I thought it interesting because he went on to do "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" which took place on a submarine. Anyway, there isn't anybody cooler than Robert Mitchum. Seriously. Ultimately the Navy Destroyer rams the U-Boat and while all the Navy men are running for the lifeboats, Mitchum goes back for the German captain and "Heiny" who dies and is buried at sea by the U.S. Navy. Then at the end Mitchum and Jurgens share a smoke and a wry laugh on the stern of a U.S. ship. Yuki gave it two thumbs straight into her mouth.

I also recorded Das Boot and had been watching it in 30 minute installments. I got about 20 minutes in when I realized it was dubbed. Gave it a shot anyway. Realized about 90 minutes in that they basically took all the U-Boat scenes from The Enemy Below and dragged them out into a 4-hour movie but without the benefit of any Robert Mitchum. I gave up. Jürgen Prochnow, I apologize.

Anyway, I have to make room on TiVo for the loads of movies both bad and good I've been finding on Public Access and AMC. Tormented (about a jazz pianist haunted by the woman he let die -- and who has a magic piano that plays great jazz no matter what his hands seem to be doing), Don’t Bother to Knock (Anne Bancroft was never cuter), Charade, Teenagers from Outer Space (the "Gargan" is really just a lobster, I hope I didn't ruin it for anyone), Earth vs. the Spider, A Shriek in the Night, D.O.A. plus bad '70s vintage Italian sci-fi flicks which were entirely unwatchable -- and that's saying something.

This, however, I could watch all day

And somewhere in the middle of all that, I'm getting to know our adorable daughter. I had kind of a "duh" moment-slash-breakthrough last week when I tried to put her in her swing and she positively roared at me so I picked her back up and it was as if nothing ever happened. It occurred to me that while I've been waiting to see the person she will become, she is already becoming that person. She has very clear opinions about things and isn't shy about telling you how she's feeling. She'd rather be with you than without you (and I feel the same way about her) and I swear she recognizes Trixie because when Trixie walks by, Yuki smiles.

Yuki also enjoys the funny books!

Mimi commented to me tonight that things are getting easier for her and she wondered if I felt the same way. I had to think about it for a very long time because I'm not sure it's been hard yet. Sure, sleep is funky, most days are spent picking up one kind of poop or another, our schedule revolves mostly around Yuki eating but I kind of expected all of that. Hanging out with my family is easy, even when there is unexplained screaming and lingering smells and a dog tearing up diapers. I think it's going to get hard for me in the fall when we start entrusting the welfare of our daughter to strangers. After considering a nanny, we are going to go for day care. I couldn't board my dog when we were going on vacation, am I really going to be able to put my kid in someone else's hands and walk away? I know people do it every day, but I don't and I think I'm going to be a wreck.

Oh well, TiVo recorded The Dirty Dozen last night, so my daycare worries are going to have to wait. A little Telly Savalas is good for what ails you.

Comments

Amy said…
Sorry we coudn't meet this weekend. I have the walking death so I was planning on just looking at Yuki through the window, anyhow. Stella is teething like a mo fo! This morning she just kept whining and crying and wanting to be held. I tried everything but the only thing that saved the day was her friend Jonah who picked her up with his mom for a play date. Just when you think your the only one who can make it better, along comes a playdate!
Eli said…
Yuki sure is lucky to have a dad like you Pi-hill=ip! Love ya.
Anonymous said…
I volunteer to quit my job and be Yuki's nanny! :) As long as I can take time off to travel (or take her with me?? :)).

Cheers!
Erika
Anonymous said…
I wish you guys lived closer, I would absolutely LOVE to ruin --I mean bless-- your beautiful baby with the company of my trio. Day care is hard to do. I put Jason in at 4 months and I probably cried more than he did. Just remember the "Good Parent Drop Off Rule": Short good byes and long hellos. It is better for everybody. Enjoy this special time with her. It goes way too fast!

XOXOXO
Cio Cia Judes

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...