Skip to main content

too darn hot

So, if you don't live in Seattle you might not know that the last week or so has been unseasonably warm. I heard one person describe it as "Africa hot." In the middle of last week it hit 103, which was the temperature in the air, but if you were standing on a paved surface it was face-meltingly hot. We were subsisting on a diet of Popsicles and lemonade. I don't care where you're from, 103 is damned inhospitable (and I know for some of you 103 is bliss, and we all think you are insane).

We have a two-story house. By Wednesday night we had abandoned the bedroom and were sleeping on the couch and/or inflatable mattress in the living room. Here's the kid at about 6:30 in the morning, wide awake and watching "Wonder Pets" while Mommy tries to steal a few more winks on the couch.

Goooooo Wonder Pets! Yaaaaay!

So Mommy took Thursday off work and, to get out of the sauna that our house had become, took kiddo to visit the second-happiest place on earth, the Children's Museum. Ah, air-conditioned comfort. We love you. They spent a good deal of time in the model of the Japanese home which, as far as I can tell, is not a lot smaller than the typical Japanese home.

Not pictured, the grocery store exhibit and the children sticking plastic food in their mouths then putting it all back on the shelves. Air-conditioning, +1. Enormous Petri dish, -1.

When the museum started to get a little crowded, our brave explorers walked across the way to the International Fountain.

Kiddo knew exactly what to do.

She is a nutty nut-case when it comes to water. She will stay in it until her face turns purple. Not just her lips. Her whole chin turns purple and then she fights like mad when you tell her to come out and dry off.

Clearly, plotting her next approach.

Mimi sent me those pictures while I was at work in my office that is in a huge concrete warehouse that is wrapped in metal. Yes, I work in a heat sink. It was 103 outside and about 111 inside. I wore shorts to work. I don't even like to wear shorts in my front yard! Anyway, the ladies had a lovely day of making pretend food and plashing (yes, plashing) in the gigantic fountain that makes me glad we live in Seattle. Then, I came home to this.

Click to increase the crazy.

Sigh. Bye, bye for now!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I feel your pain with the heat! Looks like Yuki is making the most of it. Popsicles and lemonade....yummmmmmmmmmmm!
Gillian said…
We, on the hottest day, went to REI. Not only is it like running around at an air-conditioned campground where you have one hundred thousand tents, but on the top floor there is a giant climbing tree with a slide. Good for the hots and the rains! Pretend outdoors!

Our apartment is on the fourth floor and somehow managed not to kill us. We did sleep with ice packs on our heads, though.

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...