Skip to main content

Goodbye, old friend


This is not the holly-jolliest of entries to have to write just two days before Christmas, but I guess life is like this sometimes.

Regular readers of this blog (both of you) are no doubt familiar with our "first born," Trixie. It fills me with great sadness to report that our dear old friend died this morning. She took ill over the weekend and had surgery on Monday to remove a large tumor in her abdomen. Sadly, she couldn’t recover from the surgery and her health deteriorated rapidly. We made the terrible decision to end her suffering at about 7:00 this morning. Fortunately, we were there for her final moments and were able to say goodbye to her.


I think you probably all know how much Trixie meant to us and any of you who had the great good fortune to meet her know that she was a goofy, lovable old girl. We feel very fortunate to have had eight years with her.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so sorry guys. Trixie was a great old girl. Really funny, really reliable and so sweet. Dogs do go to heaven - I'm sure of it!
I love you
Gibs
Anonymous said…
Words cannot express my sadness for you all. What a great friend she was, and everyone who knew her knew how sweet and special she was. I like to think Trixie's off to the greater place, and she and Theodoric can go roam around--or nap--together. Godspeed Trixie.
Lisa Tucker said…
I am so sad. I am sad for all three of you and sad that I never officially met Trixie. We are sending our love and sympathy to you for Christmas without her. Good dog.
Anonymous said…
Oh, I'm so so sorry. There's just nothing more hollow and agonizing than a hurting pet, the hard decision, and the quiet weirdness that follows. I'm glad Trixie had you for as long as she did. She was clearly an awesome dog, and you were clearly awesome dog caretakers. Happy dog heaven, Trixie!

Tamara (Jen's friend)
Michelle said…
I'm so sorry. Trixie was a wonderful dog and we'll miss her, though I know no one will miss her as much as you do. She was as lucky to have found you as you were her.

It's such a difficult decision to make, but it's good that she didn't suffer long.
Gillian said…
I was just thinking this morning of how Yuki used to say "Trixie, Trixie?" when she first woke up. I'm thinking it must have been the sweet dog herself sparking that memory, making some spirit rounds on her way to good ol' doggie heaven.

Many headpats to you all.
Anonymous said…
Aww dang it - I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you all are doing OK.
--curtis
Litza said…
I'm so sorry about Trixie. She was such a wonderful dog! Undoubtedly one of the best assistant directors YTN (or the theatre world) has ever known.
We'll miss Trixie, too. She was such a sweet presence as Yuki and she and I spent many an afternoon chatting. Our love and condolences.
Brendan and Stina

Popular posts from this blog

dreaded doll

Yuki is now approaching the age where she is hearing at school that Santa perhaps does not exist and that things are coming from parents. This concern is also spreading to the area of the Tooth Fairy and the Switch Witch. But, Yuki still wants to believe in the magic.  So much so that while she expressed concern, she has yet to come out and ask us. So I suggested we watch Miracle on 34th Street which we did during Thanksgiving weekend and she was starry eyed. We wanted to help restore her faith in Christmas at least for one more year.  Enter: American Girl Doll Now, here is where the magic collides with reality. Yuki first  encountered  American Girl Doll in kindergarten when a few of her friends talked about theirs. When she first mentioned it I had a physical reaction to almost vomit. It was one of those "Disney Princess," "Barbie," and other things that the girls are supposed to get interested in that I dreaded. I don't have any problems with the...