While we are waiting, let me just break down for you what “Punchy” did last night. From midnight to 2:00 am, it kicked and flailed non-stop. My stomach was a total freak show. It was as if kid was panicking and yelling, “I can’t get my head out!” Or somehow trying to come out through my belly button, feet first. I felt like I was in Alien, eating in a space ship cafeteria and about to fall down on the table with a baby alien bursting through my chest. It was also moving its head rather vigorously which, let me tell you, hurts like someone is trying to push a porcupine through my … um … delicate areas. I moaned and groaned hugging a pillow for a while, but then moved myself to the glider and just rocked. This did not help the baby to calm down, but it helped me to cope with the pain. But then it became way too much so finally I woke Philip (and Trixie). He staggered over to me and rubbed my stomach, and just talked to me, which helped. Then we stood up and he rocked me from side to side in the “slow dance position” (recommended for labor pains for those of you who don’t know) and that helped also. Then we stumbled in to bed and fell asleep. Thank god … I think this was probably really good practice both for labor and dealing with things in the middle of the night. My doula wondered if the baby was facing the wrong way and is trying to correct itself before going into labor. She told me to try a couple of things to correct that. We shall do that—if that helps little Punchy to settle down and just friggin’ go into labor already.
I had an acupuncture appointment and two massage appointments this week to induce labor. I’d rather try these gentle homeopathic methods first before we have to induce medically. I am trying to walk (though my right side goes totally numb after about 7 minutes), squat, sit on birth ball, drink Jasmine tea and later will rub some caster oil on my stomach. (I’m not drinking it. I’m not quite that desperate … yet.) In the meantime, Philip bought me three trashy tabloid magazines, and I have Netflix lined up to try to enjoy this last bit of quiet. I’ve never in my life looked forward to having a lot of pain and going to the hospital.
These past two weeks have also been very relaxing and educational. I learned that:
1. You can catch about six episodes of “Saved By The Bell” every weekday morning starting at 6:00 am.
2. “Spin City” is actually a funny sit-com
3. If you play your cards right, you can catch “CSI” or “Law & Order” all day long like you used to be able to do with “M*A*S*H*
4. My dog sleeps really a lot
5. “Tori and Dean: Inn Love” is fine, fine, television
Tori Spelling is kooky. What is not to love about this new reality show about them trying to start a bed & breakfast?!! She is also an idiot in the most delightful way. She went to her OB several times rather neurotically saying that she was convinced her baby was dead because she and Dean had sex, or she took a bath and the baby moved but she thought it was too hot and was struggling for life. I thought I was paranoid. In one of the trash magazines, Tori spoke about her labor experience. She said she kind of wanted to see how badly it hurt so she waited 7 hours before getting the epidural and later complained to her friend who didn’t tell her how much it hurt. Her friend said, “Why did you wait so long?” Philip and I have been saying, “stupid people do this, so we can do it too.” Now we will way, “Tory Spelling has done this-we can do it too!” That is far more encouraging.
7 hours to go and this kid is officially late.
PHILIP PHOLLOW-UP:
Because I spend a lot of time on the internet (sometimes even for work!) I found a website called "Monsters by Mail" on which an artist named Len, who is trying to raise money for his kid who's due in the fall, offered to draw you an original monster based on any adjective you gave him. Because I am an obsessive collector-type and because he was only doing 150 of them, I quickly jumped in. I sent him "newborn." Today I got an email that he was done. Here's what it looks like:

Best 20 bucks I've spent in a while. Mimi just said, "Let's use that for our birth announcement." Awesome.
See "Newborn" being created at Len's blog here.
See the rest of his monsters here.
I had an acupuncture appointment and two massage appointments this week to induce labor. I’d rather try these gentle homeopathic methods first before we have to induce medically. I am trying to walk (though my right side goes totally numb after about 7 minutes), squat, sit on birth ball, drink Jasmine tea and later will rub some caster oil on my stomach. (I’m not drinking it. I’m not quite that desperate … yet.) In the meantime, Philip bought me three trashy tabloid magazines, and I have Netflix lined up to try to enjoy this last bit of quiet. I’ve never in my life looked forward to having a lot of pain and going to the hospital.
These past two weeks have also been very relaxing and educational. I learned that:
1. You can catch about six episodes of “Saved By The Bell” every weekday morning starting at 6:00 am.
2. “Spin City” is actually a funny sit-com
3. If you play your cards right, you can catch “CSI” or “Law & Order” all day long like you used to be able to do with “M*A*S*H*
4. My dog sleeps really a lot
5. “Tori and Dean: Inn Love” is fine, fine, television
Tori Spelling is kooky. What is not to love about this new reality show about them trying to start a bed & breakfast?!! She is also an idiot in the most delightful way. She went to her OB several times rather neurotically saying that she was convinced her baby was dead because she and Dean had sex, or she took a bath and the baby moved but she thought it was too hot and was struggling for life. I thought I was paranoid. In one of the trash magazines, Tori spoke about her labor experience. She said she kind of wanted to see how badly it hurt so she waited 7 hours before getting the epidural and later complained to her friend who didn’t tell her how much it hurt. Her friend said, “Why did you wait so long?” Philip and I have been saying, “stupid people do this, so we can do it too.” Now we will way, “Tory Spelling has done this-we can do it too!” That is far more encouraging.
7 hours to go and this kid is officially late.
PHILIP PHOLLOW-UP:
Because I spend a lot of time on the internet (sometimes even for work!) I found a website called "Monsters by Mail" on which an artist named Len, who is trying to raise money for his kid who's due in the fall, offered to draw you an original monster based on any adjective you gave him. Because I am an obsessive collector-type and because he was only doing 150 of them, I quickly jumped in. I sent him "newborn." Today I got an email that he was done. Here's what it looks like:

Best 20 bucks I've spent in a while. Mimi just said, "Let's use that for our birth announcement." Awesome.
See "Newborn" being created at Len's blog here.
See the rest of his monsters here.
Comments
KT
Love,
KT