Skip to main content

lies, damn lies, and radiologists

Today we had an ultrasound to make sure the kiddo was doing okay in the increasingly confining confines of Mimi's womb. They checked for blood flow, heart rate, movement, and amniotic fluid. A score of 2 on any of these is good. Flippy scored an 8 out of a possible 8. Yay, Flippy. The radiologist came in at the end to tell us everything looked great and that he estimated the baby's size to be 9 pounds 6 ounces.

Wha-huh?

Okay he did say he was "probably overestimating" because it's hard to get an accurate read this late in the gestation. So he left to go rework the numbers and he came back with 9 pounds 3 ounces. Um ... thanks. We are hoping he was "probably overestimating" by about 2 pounds.

Tomorrow we have the NST (non-stress test) where Mimi gets hooked up to a few monitors and they see how baby is faring. The ultrasound was promising, so we are hoping the NST will be equally so. Details soon.

UPDATE: Here's the ultrasound image from our visit.

Pictured: forehead, nose, mouth, hand (right to left)
Confused? Us, too. Stare at it long enough and all will become clear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

panicky interlude

This is not the promised "Magical Ponies" post. Apologies. Instead, this is the "You Negligent Monster" post. Because Kiddo is in a Japanese daycare, parents are asked to remove their shoes before coming in. No problem. I have a pair of loafers that I hate that I wear on pickup days so I can get in and out more quickly. Most days while I'm putting my shoes on, Yuki will run away from me and I will make noisy protestations and she will giggle and come back. Today, however, there was the running and the noisy protestations and the giggling and a splat. I guess she tripped ("running away" involves going around a corner where I can't see her) because she was crying and pulling herself up off the floor when I got to her. "No big deal" as she likes to say (she does, really, it's friggin' adorable). She had a little red line across the bridge of her nose but there was no blood. She asked for a Band Aid and I told her we'd get her one...