During our second trimester, we were seen by an OB who was about to pop a baby herself (our regular OB was out that day). She said, “Enjoy your second trimester because then … there is the third.” That is echoing in my head. I am now uncomfortable all the time. If I sit for too long, my legs go numb. If I stand for too long, my ankles swell up. If I lie down, I can’t breathe. Good times.
I read and heard in classes that once the baby drops, I’d be able to breathe again and eat more comfortably. Well, kiddo dropped like two weeks ago and I haven’t felt any different because I was carrying so low to begin with. Ugh. The best is when Flippy moves its head from side to side. I am now 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced at +1 station (look at me!! I can be on ER! Or Star Trek…?) which means the kid is WAY LOW and just ready to go. So when it moves its head, it literally grinds my bladder and boy does that hurt. I also now wake up about every two hours to pee. Our doula asked, “Why do you think that is?” I said, “…’cause I have to pee?” she said, “sure, but why else?” Then I said, “…My body is trying to train me?” She said, “exactly.” Man, I was going to get as much sleep as possible now, but thanks to my “training” I am having random sleep. Our OB did say though that some people don’t even get to this point without having 24-hours of contractions and the fact that my body is doing this without any contractions is a really good sign. Translation: we are now just waiting for contractions to start. It can happen any minute. Or in three weeks.
We have completed all of our classes. We are now more knowledgeable about what will kill our child. Apparently, we should just stick it in an empty room and not take it anywhere. I always said to people that I was going to crate train the child, like a puppy. That is sounding really good right now.
Our bag is packed and in the car. The graphic designer who does our posters at the theatre said to have the bag packed. His baby came 5 weeks early and they did not have it together. He said the last thing you want after giving birth is to wear something your husband picked out. (“What?!! You looked really hot in these tight jeans!!”). And while I have complete faith in Philip to pick out appropriate clothing, we decided to have it packed so we don’t have to think about it. And we have the car seat, properly installed (we think) thanks to the class. The birth plan is written, the dog sitter has our keys, the phone chain worked out … our house still looks like we just moved in but I am no longer worried about that. That will get organized sooner or later.
I also officially wrapped up my work yesterday. It is strange to think that I am going to be away from it for three months. My assistant who is covering for me has a slight deer-in-the-headlights look to him, but I have complete faith in him being able to figure things out in my absence. It felt good to cross off the very last thing on my list, clean my desk, change my voice mail, and close the door. I will be a different person when I return.
I feel strange right now. We are in limbo. While I battle discomfort, I am also trying to enjoy the last bit of this pregnancy (since this might be the only one) and our time together in quiet, with the dog. I often think about our last 5 years, and everyone who has supported us along the way. We aren’t particularly religious (sorry Moms), but boy, we had every angle working for this kid. Many friends and family prayed and lit candles (including one in The Sistine Chapel!), we got a wish written into a wall in Israel, a charm brought back from a shrine in Japan, not to mention endless well-wishing and positive thoughts being sent in our direction. And many lucky eyelashes blown and wishes on birthday candles. And now, finally, it’s just around the corner. Who knew it took a village to just bring the child into the world? We are lucky kids. Thanks everybody.
At the end of last Friday’s OB visit, we said, “See you next week!” and our OB replied, “Yes. Or sooner.”
5…4…3…2…
Afterthoughts:
the new sofa-sleeper for our guest room/office arrived. It's awesome.

Philip is in knock-down furniture hell. The changing table pad we bought doesn't fit the Ikea changing table, the armoire for the guest room has turned into a two-day project, and he hasn't even started on the end tables.

But he did make time to go to the Emerald City Comic Convention and visit with some old friends.
I read and heard in classes that once the baby drops, I’d be able to breathe again and eat more comfortably. Well, kiddo dropped like two weeks ago and I haven’t felt any different because I was carrying so low to begin with. Ugh. The best is when Flippy moves its head from side to side. I am now 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced at +1 station (look at me!! I can be on ER! Or Star Trek…?) which means the kid is WAY LOW and just ready to go. So when it moves its head, it literally grinds my bladder and boy does that hurt. I also now wake up about every two hours to pee. Our doula asked, “Why do you think that is?” I said, “…’cause I have to pee?” she said, “sure, but why else?” Then I said, “…My body is trying to train me?” She said, “exactly.” Man, I was going to get as much sleep as possible now, but thanks to my “training” I am having random sleep. Our OB did say though that some people don’t even get to this point without having 24-hours of contractions and the fact that my body is doing this without any contractions is a really good sign. Translation: we are now just waiting for contractions to start. It can happen any minute. Or in three weeks.
We have completed all of our classes. We are now more knowledgeable about what will kill our child. Apparently, we should just stick it in an empty room and not take it anywhere. I always said to people that I was going to crate train the child, like a puppy. That is sounding really good right now.
Our bag is packed and in the car. The graphic designer who does our posters at the theatre said to have the bag packed. His baby came 5 weeks early and they did not have it together. He said the last thing you want after giving birth is to wear something your husband picked out. (“What?!! You looked really hot in these tight jeans!!”). And while I have complete faith in Philip to pick out appropriate clothing, we decided to have it packed so we don’t have to think about it. And we have the car seat, properly installed (we think) thanks to the class. The birth plan is written, the dog sitter has our keys, the phone chain worked out … our house still looks like we just moved in but I am no longer worried about that. That will get organized sooner or later.
I also officially wrapped up my work yesterday. It is strange to think that I am going to be away from it for three months. My assistant who is covering for me has a slight deer-in-the-headlights look to him, but I have complete faith in him being able to figure things out in my absence. It felt good to cross off the very last thing on my list, clean my desk, change my voice mail, and close the door. I will be a different person when I return.
I feel strange right now. We are in limbo. While I battle discomfort, I am also trying to enjoy the last bit of this pregnancy (since this might be the only one) and our time together in quiet, with the dog. I often think about our last 5 years, and everyone who has supported us along the way. We aren’t particularly religious (sorry Moms), but boy, we had every angle working for this kid. Many friends and family prayed and lit candles (including one in The Sistine Chapel!), we got a wish written into a wall in Israel, a charm brought back from a shrine in Japan, not to mention endless well-wishing and positive thoughts being sent in our direction. And many lucky eyelashes blown and wishes on birthday candles. And now, finally, it’s just around the corner. Who knew it took a village to just bring the child into the world? We are lucky kids. Thanks everybody.
At the end of last Friday’s OB visit, we said, “See you next week!” and our OB replied, “Yes. Or sooner.”
5…4…3…2…
Afterthoughts:
the new sofa-sleeper for our guest room/office arrived. It's awesome.
Philip is in knock-down furniture hell. The changing table pad we bought doesn't fit the Ikea changing table, the armoire for the guest room has turned into a two-day project, and he hasn't even started on the end tables.
But he did make time to go to the Emerald City Comic Convention and visit with some old friends.
Comments
xo
la